All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Spectator

Default Group Builds

Basicaly want to know how these work. Does a group get together with a plan to build one particular item then just build one of these items? Is the item usually for the host. Or do you have several people take on the task of making X number of duplicate parts to produce 1 item for each person involved?

Just curious

Charley
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

There is no single simple answer to your question. A group build can take on a number of forms and happen in different ways. There has to be something that a lot of people want and a design or specific machine that everyone agrees is workable and acceptable to the people that want one. It takes the dedication of several people to make it happen and in some cases a lot of people to at someone shop to make it happen.

Use the search function here and find all of the post and threads on dedicated shrinking and reciprocating machines and you will get a feel for what it takes to get a group build to happen and be productive. There are at least 5 threads on the reciprocation machine.

I have been involved in two of the group builds. One three times, Deep Throat Shrinker. Both took a lot of time. Some of the builds took years before they actually happened.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Hi Charley,

I've been involved with most the group builds. All of them have been based on a prototype that someone (or ones) took the initiative to build.

In the case of the kick shrinkers, Bob Baisden resurrected an old attempt and made cad drawings based on Dutch Comstock's Marchant prototype.

Bennett Chapman got the steel cut by his steel supplier and Bob, Bennett, and I met at Bennetts shop one weekend to build the prototype. From that we made some changes in the drawings, ordered several sets of frames cut, and arranged for a local (to me) machinist (Ray) to do the machine work. Ray and I machined the next two prototypes (mine) and we verified how everything needed to be done. I worked with Ray on the first set of 10 machines that went to several folks. Again we made subtle changes to the design. Joe Hartson made a great set of documentation to supplement the doucment I had done during the prototypes. Unfortunately it was lost when MetalMeet upgraded. Fortuately we have a copy and will be posting it here soon.

On the second, third, and forth builds, SOMEONE took the initiative to ask who wanted in, coordinated the orders, worked with Ray, and basically managed the process. Bennett and I were able to save the group some money by transporting the cut steel frames to Ray.

On the reciprocating machines, it was a similar process, couple prototypes were made last summer and some folks expressed an interest in building one. I signed up to order all the pieces parts. Bennett volunteered his shop. Joe Hartson came up early to get some pre-work done. Folks paid for actual costs. No one paid for the time invested by the hosting team. Some lessons we learned and changes made in the basic design that will be reflected in the documentation when I get around to it.

Don't know that I'll ever do another recip machine build but there is no reason someone else couldn't host one.

Hosting a group build is a LOT of work...VERY rewarding but a LOT of work.

You have to have a plan, make sure the design is sound, all the parts are present, all needed tools and supplies present, and someone has to lead the effort.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

The two other group builds I'm aware of were driven from the old MetalShapers Association (MSA). Tom Lipton came up with a benchtop ewheel design and did exactly the same process as previously described on the recip machines. A bunch of folks met at his shop in CA and built these ewheels including rollers because there really wasn't a good source at that time.

The MSA planishing hammer was also a MSA group design to build the ultimate planishing hammer based on the large CP design. Wray Schelin and Jay Hayes were the leaders but many folks were involved. Jay developed a 'kit' that he still offers.

Back in 2003, I, Bennett Chapman, Dutch Comstock, and a couple others spent a long weekend at Jay's shop in WV and built our 'WrayJay' hammers. Jay had all the pieces parts except for the bases and linkages which were designed and mainly completed that weekend. Bennett machined the motor castings while the rest of us did other tasks.

KerrysMSA1.jpg

There are quite a few of these machines out there. Most of them have unique linkages and bases but are otherwise the same. Jay may still have a nice discount with Michigan Pneumatic that he passes along.

I'm not aware of other group builds but there well could be some.

Strangely enough, back in 2001, I offered to host an ewheel group build but only Bennett Chapman and John Staincamp expressed intrest and Bennett was the only person who followed through and got a machine built.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Spectator

Sounds cool, I know it has to be a ton of work but very rewarding.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2021

Charley.
Kerry make it sound easy. But he had put together a group of energizer bunnies that put a lot of effort into the recip hammer. I think I was the only lazy guy there and still ended up with a great machine.
Thanks Kerry and your gang, it was swell.