All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Default New here, little confused

Hi, I'm Chris. I was invited over here months ago (name withheld to protect the innocent) via PM on Metal Meet. I lurked for a while but a signed up a couple weeks ago so I could see all the info. It's a nicely done site. WAYYY fewer categories to sift through to get good info.

But today left me even more confused than I was before as to why this site exists. I've noticed many, many questions and thoughts are answered by referring them back to MM with a link attached. And today a new post popped up answering a question that was posted on MM this week.

I guess I am wondering why 2 sites? If everyone posts on both and even links to both why am I here??? Same people, same information.

Don't flame me too hard, or ban me. I'm just really curious.

-Chris

p.s. A suggestion. Why not have the instant email notification be the default? Sometimes I forget what threads I am following and I submit without changing that box.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Chris, the short answer to your question is that the Metalmeet site changes a lot over the years and had gotten away from the original purpose of the site. The amount of content greatly reduced and there was too many OT topics being posted. A few people felt strongly enough about this so the AllMetalShaping.com site was started to try to have a site that was only for metal shaping and closely related subjects. There were some other things that caused controversy and produces disagreements on Metalmeet. One of these was the ad policy, we don't have one here. There were other issues that I won't get into here. It is going to take some time for this site to have the same amount of information about metal shaping as you will see on the other site but what is posted here will be only metal shaping. The owners of this site are not trying to replace Metalmeet in fact we still support them but we don't post there as much as we did in the past. Most of the owners of this site will be at Oblong this year. If you want a site that is dedicated to Metal Shaping you will find it here. Hope this answers your question. Thanks

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the explanation Joe. I'll try not to stir things up. I'll do my best to adhere to your guy's goals.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

It's a valid question Chris.

On Metal Meet I started noticing that all of the people that I respected were getting fed up and they were leaving.Or they still visit but quit posting.I voiced my opinion on several occasions on what I thought was going wrong but I had no control.

So I wanted to start a site that was strictly for metal shaping.I think that was one of the main reasons people were leaving they were getting tired of sifting through the B S and chat.

This site was not put up to hurt Metal Meet,it is just another avenue for keeping this craft alive.

You will always be welcome here but if it does not suit you we will understand.

I am the one that answered the question that was asked on metal meet.I was just going to post it here but then I thought it really didn't help the guy.So I posted it over on metal meet as well.Sorry for the confusion I won't do it again.

Welcome aboard

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 09-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Joe's a better writer

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Chris, if you go into your UserCP and then into edit options you can select an option that subscribes you to the threads you started or answers. You also have the option to get email notification about your subscribed threads. Not all people want that so it is not default.

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it here and contribute some content so we can learn from you.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 PM

I, for one, am glad this site exists. The MM site makes me nutty. I don't like the navigation, too much bs... it put me off really quick. For a while I lurked allshops.org, still do occasionally, but that forum moves SLOOOW. I usually pop in once a month or so and catch up on pretty much everything within a few hours. I recently rejoined MM, but only because there were links from this site to there that I wanted to view, but couldn't because I couldn't remember my login from when I originally signed up.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
...I guess I am wondering why 2 sites? If everyone posts on both and even links to both why am I here??? Same people, same information.
Hi Chris, I'm pretty sure I was the one who invited you to join us. I did that to some of the folks who appeared to be serious about learning and sharing metalshaping.

Joe pretty well described why this site exists and, you're correct, most of our members belong to MetalMeet also. But not all of them post there any more for various reasons, and quite a few of the MetalMeet folks only lurk here, and some of us lurk on MetalMeet. We don't require you to register to see the site and we don't have an advertising policy that no one can understand and actually hurts the members by denying information they need to make informed purchases.

We're not trying to compete with MetalMeet or get in a race over the number of members. We just want a place to talk about All Metal Shaping. Catchy name huh? Actually, we also have a social networking component but you have to specifically GO there. Folks that aren't interested in off topic stuff aren't subjected to it.

We don't have a board of directors and have only we have 5-6 common sense rules. If we need a decision, we have a admin only forum where we discuss things. The longest we've ever needed to make a decision has been less than 36 hours because we're all involved every day for the most part.

While Johnny did indeed post his floor pan on both sites, that's not the norm. 90%+ of the content here is unique, and the vast majority is metalshaping oriented...not chat. Since we split off, it appears that MetalMeet has increased their forum list even more. We try to keep things simple. We're not trying to be the HAMB or to be all things to all people. We just want to talk about metalshaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
...Don't flame me too hard, or ban me. I'm just really curious....
Surely you jest? No one here is going to flame you for asking a simple question. Welcome to AllMetalShaping!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 AM

Hi Chris! Welcome.
Decatur IN, 46733

Phone 260-301-9034
Fax 260-724-2236

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks Joe H. for the information on email notifications. I never knew you could change the default.

Kerry, it was you. I just didn't want to say it outloud. Thanks for the invite. The flaming, banning comment was based on what it's like at MM. If you question the BOD your outa here!

I do like the idea of only talking about shaping. Like I said, I will do my best to adhere to your goals (and stay on subject). I do like talking about building tools though....

One more suggestion/idea (since we took care of the other one so fast) is in the classifieds. It would be nice if everyone took the time to edit their posts. Most of the items are sold. Especially ebay items.

-Chris

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service