All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Brent Likes

Thumbs up

I really like the rear half of the car, the wheel opening scaled to the overall scale of the fender/body is real nice, Kerry.

Keep up the good work.
Brent Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

I must have missed it I didn't realize you had the door done as well.

That rear section is incredible.

Have you mentioned what you will use for the grill?

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Wow. Life really has a way of changing priorities. I haven't TOUCHED the roadster in two months. Between building the reciprocating machines for Dutch and Bennett, going up to Dutchs meet, working on my son's cars, miscellaneous honeydos, a couple ewheel orders, and some really expensive dental issues, there just hasn't been any time.

I was hoping to have it drivable by Oblong but that's looking doubtful. I'm afraid I'm still going to be working on the inner fender liners/fender mounts and such.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default FINALLY, some metalshaping

Finally got caught up on life and got to spend the day on the roadster. It's been a couple months since I touched her and she was PISSED! Everything went wrong...or maybe I just forgot how to shape metal....

I haven't had her out on the road this year because the sheet metal isn't secure enough. She needs the inner fenders to stiffen things up as well as being able to tip the wheel well openings so the tires won't rub like they do now.

Joe and Bennett are coming over next month for a few days and I'm wanting to get some of the stuff done that really needs two people. Besides, I get motivated when someone is working with me.

Today it was time to start on the inner fender for the right front fender. This is that it looks like currently. The front has a brace that goes to the frame. It's a fabricated "L" made from 1x1/4 flat bar bent and welded. I'm not sure how the fender will actually mount to this. I believe that once the inner fender is mounted to the wheel opening flange, no exterior support will be needed. We'll see.

Name:  RFinner1.jpg
Views: 3697
Size:  39.8 KB

The back of the fender also has a brace that goes to the frame and the fender bottom bolts to it.

Name:  RFinner2.jpg
Views: 3418
Size:  39.9 KB

Here is the brace off the car. What I needed to do is add another piece to the inside to make it a "U" shape. This way I can bolt the inner fender directly to the mount.

Name:  RFinner3.jpg
Views: 3166
Size:  17.8 KB

Here is the modified brace reinstalled on the car.

Name:  RFinner4.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  34.6 KB

This is how the inner panels will mount. Currently I'm using self tapping screws but will ultimately go with a different fastener that is more period correct.

Name:  RFinner5.jpg
Size:  48.3 KB

This is the main center part front to back...two pieces.

Name:  RFinner6.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  24.7 KB

The back screws directly to the rear brace. Notice the gap between outside of the fender and the inner panel. A piece will be fabricated to fill that gap. It will be nearly vertical to provide max tire clearance.

Name:  RFinner7.jpg
Views: 3157
Size:  37.1 KB

It's hard to see here but there is at least a 1/4" gap between the inner and outer fenders. This is to keep rocks thrown by the tires from denting the outer fender and ruining the paint.

Name:  RFinner8.jpg
Size:  33.8 KB

You can see it a bit better on the front.

Name:  RFinner9.jpg
Views: 3121
Size:  41.8 KB

This is the inside panel that will go all the way to the frame. It's just roughed out.

Name:  RFinner10.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  42.9 KB

Still rough but cleco'ed in place.

Name:  RFinner11.jpg
Views: 3152
Size:  39.5 KB

This is it welded to the center sections.

Name:  RFinner12.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  25.6 KB

The inside rear was pretty simple. Not much shape because I needed max tire clearance.

Name:  RFinner13.jpg
Views: 3224
Size:  49.7 KB

This is the center section that I still need to do. There will be a gap around the upper control arm that will be covered with rubber flaps to keep the engine compartment from getting trashed from road spray. I'm sure sooner or later, I'll get caught in the rain.

Name:  RFinner14.jpg
Views: 3132
Size:  34.0 KB

Hope to finish this up tomorrow and Monday. I may wait till Joe gets here to tip the wheel well opening. It can be done by one person but life is too short and I've got plenty of other things to work on so why take a chance of dinging up the big fender. I've also got some more wheel work to do just to make things pretty. It's still fairly rough.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

This project of yours continues to blow me away.

Keep up the good work.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Had a couple hours this afternoon and finished the center panel. It looks pretty simple but actually wasn't. I turned a flange, then stretched the panel to get it to match the existing panels. The shape increased toward the front so it took a while to get it right. Here it is cleco'd in place.

Name:  RFinner15.jpg
Views: 3123
Size:  36.0 KB

And welded.

Name:  RFinner16.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  25.0 KB

And ground.

Name:  RFinner17.jpg
Views: 3190
Size:  37.9 KB

A little wheel work and here it is installed. There will be a flat back panel that will bolt to the flange and have the cut out for the upper control arm and the rubber flaps. It will need to be separate pieces because otherwise I could not get it into position

Name:  RFinner18.jpg
Views: 3091
Size:  25.2 KB

Got a few things to do tomorrow but hope to finish the lower front parts and start on the outer portions that will ultimately tie to the fender flanges. From a metalfinishing standpoint, it leaves a bit to be desired but I'm not going to loose a lot of sleep over it at this point. It can still be wheeled if I decide to make it more pretty but honestly it's not going to be seen and it's going to be dirty.....
Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Looks good to me Kerry!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Those inner fenders are looking good. Glad to see you back working on the roadster.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

I cannot wait to see this thing with old-school wire rims and some paint.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Finished the left front inner yesterday. Going to try and get the left rear done so I can hang the fender.

Building a car is like building a house. You can frame a house in a couple days, black it in in a couple more. In a week it looks like you're almost ready to move in. Four months later you still don't have the certificate of occupancy.

I've slowly realized that I'm still at the black in stage. I made a list of all the things that still have to be done and it is pretty overwhelming.... It's a good thing this is supposed to be fun...

Mark Twain said, "The difference between work and play is you don't HAVE to play."