All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

As far as marking goes Johnny, you won't get much better than that and they look like they're shrinking fine. I'd recommend just using them for a while. The next time you're at someplace that has some 'professional' dies you can compare but I doubt they do much better than yours.

Good Job!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Thank you Kerry.

When I first started you told me,learn how to shape the metal by hand first before worrying about using a power hammer.So that is what I did,so when there was a power hammer thread I didn't even open it.So when I started building a reciprocating hammer and dies,I was totally lost.

I learned everything from you guys.I was so far away from being able to afford a set of $450 thumbnail dies.So to have a set that works really means a lot to me.

There was a lot of people that really helped me with this.

Thank you guys very much.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I have to shape two fender wells for my Dads car. I have the patterns, so this morning I thought this would be a great project to get more familiar with thumbnail dies.

So I slapped them in and they didn't work at all. I know I had them working before so I spent some time adjusting the machine. No matter what I did I could not get them working. They were stretching so bad that the metal was curling up. So I pulled them out and checked out the wear marks and they were terrible.

I knew what they were suppose to look like so I started to adjust them. I even ground the weld down and pulled the pin back out. It was hitting hard on the left side and not at all on the right.

So I filed it accordingly and now have them working again I also tacked the pin back in but this time I left it out some.

It's hard for me to tell how good they are working because these are the only set that I have ever used. Plus I'm not even sure if I am doing it right.

If I get them working good I don't think I will ever pull them back out again.

I might make a video after lunch to see if you guys think they are working right or not.

Please stay on topic.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Hi Johnny,

i had this problem, i had not adjusted the clearances correctly.

loosen the adjuster.

i put a sheet on the flat area, roll the eccentric back and forth while snugging up the adjuster till the sheet is snug. lock it down , try running it on scrap .

my dies are store bought and don`t need side to side or back and forth movement. i have a guide to set the adjuster and ram in position before i start any die changes.

Gary
Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Johnny, once you get them adjusted, make yourself another tool holder! Or, before you get them working, make one of them with setscrews that can be locked into place so you can just slide it out and slide it back in with little to no adjustment. That's why I rarely take my thumbnails out of the little yellow machine.

As a guess, I would say the lower is too far to one side, is too far forward (away from you standing in the operator's position) and/or the dies are too close together. I have had all of those problems.

Tim D.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Johnny, I spent 2 days at Scott Knight’s class and never saw him do a die change without checking the hit point with black drain oil. If you get into that habit you may be able to avoid these problems before they even start, other than that you are working more or less blind. Arguably this isn’t as critical on a Pullmax where the alignment is almost guaranteed but it’s still a good habit to get into . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I was thinking about it today when I was at work(day dreaming)

I couldn't figure out why I could not get the adjustment back to where it was. The only thing I can think of is I had that bearing go out on me and when I replaced it I probably did not get it back exactly where I had it originally.

That is the only thing I changed. Who knows, it was a pain in the - - -. I have them working decent now.

Please stay on topic.