All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Hi David,
I had a great day yesterday, not just with you showing us your metal shaping and welding skills, but also the enthusiasm to share your knowledge of over 30 years of hard earned experience in the trade. I found it a relaxed atmosphere, whilst at the same time you had a conscious attitude to pass on a much as you could in such a small amount of time, which you did, even when we went off on tangents about business related issues.
The projects you have in the shop look and most importantly feel as good as they do in your posts, not that I doubted they would for a minute. Your workshop is well organised and I should try harder to make mine a lot more like yours, I always spend unnecessary time looking for tools that get scattered around during the day.
The ali welding demonstration you did has convinced this sceptic that it's the best method, and now I've seen it done so well, I'll spend more time practicing to get better results and considering I've never done it before, after watching you closely I did manage to weld 3ft without losing it. I must get one of those visors you use, no point spending £100s on glasses, I could clearly see the weld pool and wear my glasses at the same time, could you let me know the supplier please.
All in all a great day, with 3 great blokes and when you get a break in your very busy schedule (at least 12 month waiting list for full restorations btw.) to get set up for teaching, I'm sure that you will be inundated with applicants, put my name down first!
Thank you for your nice comments Martin. I am slowly getting the workshop the way I want it with new toolboards and a woodworking area. Its a slow process with having to earn some money in between. There is still quite a bit I want to do to improve it.

You did a brilliant job of welding the aluminium considering it was your first attempt. As I told you with a little practice you will be expert. I will post a photo of your first ever attempt at ally welding if you don't mind.

The welding face shield is a great product and works very well, it is also very reasonably priced. I will make a another thread about it I think because it will help many people I think. When I do please comment about your impression of it.

I hope my explainations about shaping metal and wheeling and why things are done in certain ways traditionally were helpfull to you all. I hope I will get to meet you all again. I really enjoyed having you here.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 04-07-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Hi David,
No problem with showing my first attempt at welding, it wasn't too bad, but when it sits next to yours, then you can see the difference of what 30 years of experience has.
When you get a chance to show pics of the welding, it will show how narrow your weld bead was, with full penetration and with half the filler rod compared to mine, I would have thought tig welding would offer a narrower bead, because of range of adjustments you have at your finger tips, but that may be just my technique, not the process.
Also, one of things I wasn't sure of was when setting the soft flame for Ali welding is that you have 2 flame cones, did you weld with the short hot flame or the longer soft flame?

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
".........................The welding face shield is a great product and works very well, it is also very reasonably priced. I will make a another thread about it I think because it will help many people I think. When I do please comment about your impression of it.

David
Hi David - looks like you guys all had a great day together. Pleased that the GWF rated welding visor that I first posted the below thread about ( now sadly closed - enough said !!!!) was a topic of discussion and is proving to be working well when gas welding aluminium. Deserves to be re-posted about as a separate thread again to bring to it too everybody's attention again and look forward to everyone's findings.

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=9151

Hope it goes well this time. :

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for sharing that info Jim,i bought myself one a few months ago brilliant,especially if you wear glasses.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tomczyk View Post
Hi David - looks like you guys all had a great day together. Pleased that the GWF rated welding visor that I first posted the below thread about ( now sadly closed - enough said !!!!) was a topic of discussion and is proving to be working well when gas welding aluminium. Deserves to be re-posted about as a separate thread again to bring to it too everybody's attention again and look forward to everyone's findings.

http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=9151

Hope it goes well this time. :

One and the same. It's a shame about the original thread but the visors are great so I intended to start another thread to show people how good they are. Thanks for the original post it's made my life easier having one of these visors.

David

All things are possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Hi David - I see that there is a Shade-3 and Shade-5 available, which one do you have?

Also please advise as soon as you have details of your courses, I'd love to attend one - will have to raid the kids' piggy banks to buy some pounds..
Old 04-12-2014, 02:18 AM

Now I can buy a visor for twenty quid that does what the glasses do for ten times that much I can reconsider getting some small oxy acetylene welding gear again. It was the cost of the glasses that broke the camel's back last time around.

Thanks for the info.

Martin

A man needs a plan....and a shed
Blog of all sorts on http://oddsoracle.blogspot.co.uk/