All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-19-2016, 05:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug 2016, Feb 2017, Sept 2018, Dec 2020, Aug 2022

Robert - looking good there. I bet you can't wait to build a stand a start working that puppy.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Matt, I'd like to accent the cast "theme" with some legs like these, but going that direction limits what a person could do with anvil storage.. That and the price they want on Ebay for them, highway robbery..

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Beautiful machines, and I know Peter has spent a lot of time and money making sure that they perform as well as a full sized cast machine.

Lucky boys!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 AM

Hint Hint Peter....cast iron legs for the wheeling machines.

Easy to cast not complicated they are thin you can add them inside the crate and improve the profit margins.

Bringing the very cool factor way up the scale.

Many of the "well heeled" that are able to purchase the wheels would likely just have to have such an accessory.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default Assorted details about Peters wheeling machines

Jimmy Matthews and I worked on building the shipping 'boxes' for the wheeling machines that are going to Denver and L.A. Mark Seybold form Tennessee arrived mid day and loaded up his. We got Jimmy's wheel together and tried it out and it looks great to me. I measured a few dimensions and determined that this wheeling machine has a 27-1/2" throat, and the height from the mounting surface to the wheel convergent point is about 15-1/2". The stand that I made is 34" tall making the operating height on this machine to be about 49-1/2". Note in the next to the last picture that there are long adjusting screws beneath the cradle 'legs'. I looked more closely and there are pins that run up thru the cradle legs and are able to raise either side in a manner than will 'rotate' the lower anvil relative to the upper wheel. Perhaps Peter can jump in here and explain more about how to use this feature. The cradle width is a little wider than the anvil to make room for this angular movement.

TomWheel02 004.jpg

TomWheel02 007.jpg

TomWheel02 012.jpg

TomWheel02 009.jpg

TomWheel02 010.jpg

TomWheel02 014.jpg

TomWheel02 016.jpg

TomWheel02 018.jpg

TomWheel02 022.jpg
Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Jimmy Matthews and I worked on building the shipping 'boxes' for the wheeling machines that are going to Denver and L.A. Mark Seybold form Tennessee arrived mid day and loaded up his. We got Jimmy's wheel together and tried it out and it looks great to me. I measured a few dimensions and determined that this wheeling machine has a 27-1/2" throat, and the height from the mounting surface to the wheel convergent point is about 15-1/2". The stand that I made is 34" tall making the operating height on this machine to be about 49-1/2". Note in the next to the last picture that there are long adjusting screws beneath the cradle 'legs'. I looked more closely and there are pins that run up thru the cradle legs and are able to raise either side in a manner than will 'rotate' the lower anvil relative to the upper wheel. Perhaps Peter can jump in here and explain more about how to use this feature. The cradle width is a little wider than the anvil to make room for this angular movement.

Attachment 36858

Attachment 36859

Attachment 36860

Attachment 36861

Attachment 36862

Attachment 36863

Attachment 36864

Attachment 36865

Attachment 36866

Gentlemen ...that really looks good as a matter of interest how is the US top wheel fitting on the shaft? Any movement? is it to tight? What is the run out like ? is the spacer between the two bearings OK...............(I just like to make sure that all is working well)
Do not forget the fact that it does not need to be squeezed to get shape up .......Will remember the door skin me and you made in Oblong?
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 03-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

The top wheel by Joe Andrews looks Very nice and fits very well also. The hammer in the photo was not required to get the wheel in place, I just had it started at a little bit of an angle. I forgot to insert the sleeve between the bearings and was puzzled at first that the wheel seemed a little 'tight'. Every thing match fit very well. I will call Joe in the morning and thank him for his nice work! That piece that Jimmy and I are working on was intended to be similar to the door panel You and I worked on at Oblong, and it worked out quite well the first time we tried it. One area was just a 'tad' lower than it should have been and we re-inserted it and rolled gently in that area and it brought it up to match the rest of the panel with no marks. Jimmy still has a smile on his face.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:14 PM

That is GOOD NEWS!!!!!!
Now I am happy

www.handbuilt.net.au

Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 AM

the next to the last picture that there are long adjusting screws beneath the cradle 'legs'. I looked more closely and there are pins that run up thru the cradle legs and are able to raise either side in a manner than will 'rotate' the lower anvil relative to the upper wheel. Perhaps Peter can jump in here and explain more about how to use this feature. The cradle width is a little wider than the anvil to make room for this angular movement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The screws and pins on the cradle are there for a few reasons, first is to be able to tilt the lower anvils either way in order to put a sharp line on a panel, second... you can increase the height of the lower anvil by turning booth screws equally and rise the lower anvil towards the top wheel, and then get the clearance again by adjusting the lower shaft down by the bottom turning wheel, that will give a extra 1/1 and half inch clearance from the casting. also it's very handy when using a taller and narrow ''kideney '' shaped lower anvil in order to reach when making deep tall and narrow return shapes
Peter

www.handbuilt.net.au

Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 AM

I would like to thank all the people involved in getting the wheels shipped in all the different states in the US... a special thanks to Will Cronkite and Jimmy Matthews.
Thank you guys
Peter

www.handbuilt.net.au