All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Cool photos Will. I recognize a Stinson L-5 lower cowl in the one photo.

The CP unit looks like it started life as a CP450 riveter. I've got one with an 18" throat, a 24" and a pair of 36" ones. Interesting note, the 36" units are not cast frames like the 24's and 18's. They are machined out of 5" plate stock and are pretty honkin' heavy! With the bases, they tip the scales somewhere close to 3 tons each.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanks for posting that tour. Very interesting shop and individual!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Bill, you have a nice shop there, and in a good neighborhood for aviation, too. I suppose the Ranger is the inverted Menasco 6?
I may have a spare PT19 aeleron here ....
The riveter frames are always good for pinching/squeezing on Something! (even with the jack/ram above the frame ...)
I see you rebuild prop hubs?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:03 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm blessed to have all these good friends. It was great to have Will and Jim swing by on there way up to Dan Pates for the metal meet, they are a class act.

There are two non-finished airplanes in the photos, one is a 1932 DeHavilland Tiger Moth (silver and red) and the other is a 1946 Aeronca Champ (Not fabric covered yet). Both are restoration projects for customers. I own three airplanes, stored in another hangar, 1943 Stinson L-5, 1942 Ryan ST-3 and a 1946 Fairchild 24.

My company specializes in custom machining, welding and design. Most of our work is aircraft related, but not all. The airplane work is for OEM, FAA/PMA holders, STC components and repair and replacement parts for vintage and warbird aircraft. A lot of aircraft are flying now, from parts we have made. We are doing our small part, to keep them going. We manufacture for other industries, including medical and food processing + normal job shop work as well. We have done car parts for Lamborghini and Ferrari restorations for a local shop and Vincent Motorcycle parts for a local collector. We have a full line of manual and CNC equipment + full welding capability like Will had mentioned.

I'm part of a T-6 race team that races at the Reno Air Races. This year, I'm designing a new engine cowl to help increase speed, at least I hope I made some changes last year, that got us several miles per hour. I always have more ideas.

The blue CP rivet machine is a CP-450 rivet machine for aircraft work, I got it from Oklahoma. It's an old USAF unit from Tinker Air Force Base. It was used to repair B-52's and such, which is really cool for an airplane guy. I restored the machine, and mounted a set of shrink dies in it. I can switch back and forth real quick, for riveting, it works great. It shrinks aluminum like a mad man, I haven't tried it on steel yet.

Kent, Will has the descriptions flipped on the two aircraft engines. The grey engine is a 6cylinder inverted inline Ranger Aircraft engine and the black engine is 4cylinder inverted inline Rolls/Royce Gipsy engine. We overhaul both model engines, at the shop. I know a guy who might be interested in a PT-19 aileron, please send a picture if you are interested in selling. We have several prop hubs that we restore for customers, we clean them up, have them NDT inspected and Cad plated.

I'm lucky that every day, I go to work and do what I love. My brother and I have been at it since 2001. We believe that quality and craftsmanship is what is important. We continue to learn and strive for the best we can do. We are passing this knowledge into the next generation with our apprentice Tony, he's a good kid.

Thank you for the interest, I will post more of our projects.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
...I will post more of our projects.
Please do!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Sorry about the inverted description, Bill. As you may recall, the lights were dim and the waitress was slim in that pizza establishment, and I may have been distracted when making my notes. I have made corrections to that original post. I am still working on that possible shipment of 'salve' to the Tin Man.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 05-10-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:19 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

No worries at all, I remember that waitress as well!

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Thanks for the additonal info on the CP-450 and what you're doing with it, Bill. I'll be looking forward to more project posts as well.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Thank you guys for the pics Very interesting to say the least!!

Bill your workshop is very clean and there is some really good stuff going on there .Your skills in all your work is outstanding. I also like all those toys you have there! WELL DONE !
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 05-12-2018, 01:44 PM

Looks a great workshop with some very interesting projects.