All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

From four post, I'd assume a drive on type lift? If you already have a two post, definitely go for the drive on four post. There are adavantages to either.

With the four post, you can add add sliding jacks to unload the suspension to do brake work, tire rotation, etc, yet still pull transmissions, engines, and the like. Plus, not have the posts in the way!

You could also make turning plates to do your own alignments, and park something underneath it for storage.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT Racing View Post
Plus, not have the posts in the way!
I don't look at it that way. 2 posts, you have two posts in the way on the sides. 4 posts, you have four posts in the way on the corners.

My "metal shop" is 26' x 27' with a post in the center. The "paint shop" is 24' x 30' (in front of the paint booth).

So in either case posts would be in my way. The only way I see post lifts not being in the way is if you have the luxury of a 60' x 100' open floor shop. Most of us don't fall into that category.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Hi Ben
That is a 64 dollar question there! You say that all you are going to do is sheetmetal work, yea Right!! (GRIN). There are pros & cons to all the lifts out there, as I'm sure you are well of. I have three different styles & a fourth option. Lets start with the four post first. My four post is large enough to handle a one dually crewcab. So working on hot rods or long ledsleds is not an issue with the posts, but what is an issue to me in my opinioon is the ramps, I keep busting my shin bones on the ramps. The ramps can be in the way when the vechile & ramps are on the ground & you are working on the roof.Also if you are working on a rocker panel it can be a pain in the ass!!!! You can do mechancial work, but I find the two post works better and quicker. I have a bridge on my four post, but I can only lift one end at a time when doing brakes & so forth. For quick inspection of an under side of a vechile I find the four post works better. You can build a chassie off of the ramps if you build fixtures. The four post takes up a lot of room.
The two post are great for wrenching on. They work good for doing body work on the front end & the back end. They suck for where the doors are, but it can be done though! The two post is My choice for wrenching on & they have more room under neath!! I also prefer the posts with the cross bar on top, instead of bulding a pit.
The mid rise lifts are by farr the best to do body work, panel replacment than any other lift. There is nothing around the intire car/ truck nada, nothin!!!! One hydrolic hose on the floor!! I have done every thing on these types of lifts as I have on the two & four posts. They are a pain in the ass for motor & gearbox change, but they can be done!! I have done it. I own two of these by Rotary.Mine goes up four feet in the air. Reel nice to do rockers panels on. I can primer while the rack is in the air. Just mask of the rack.If you end up wanting a two or four post just make sure you get a big one that can handle all of your needs. THINK LARGE & HEAVY then you should be allright.
Now If you are scratch bulding a frame & car body you need thing true & square. I know you know all this But someone just starting out might not. Sso My fourth option is a frame table or in my case I use a frame rack that I pick up cheap, so I can double duty it. (GRIN).
Every one that I have talk two about this subject when I was looking told if you had to have one, was get a two post. Well I kinda agree, but in your case I think I would get the mid size lift first. Then a two post & you should be coverd.
Sorry for the long wind!!
Butch
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 PM

I have a chief frame rack that I do most of my body work on. Not Ideal but it was needed for frame repair so it works two functions now. I picked up at two post for $700.00 to do mechanical and bodywork but as mentioned it is in the way of doing any door work. But I have Had my eyes on the scissor lifts for a while now. I especially like the ones that are roll around so you could put it out of the way when not used. They have a lift height of 36 inches some a little higher. They would work well for cars but not so well for the kind of trucks I drive.
Rondo
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Here is the mid-rise I have: http://www.snapon.com/international/...elr339aEtc.pdf

And then, I also have my scary as hell Weaver Twin Post in-floor:

100_5540.jpg

I should really give someone a call to look at that leaking rear cylinder before I get a visit from the EPA . Not to mention, it would be a whole lot "safer" if the dang thing wouldn't just all of a sudden settle on me .

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

not try'n to get tooo of subject. but since we're talking about lifts.. lol.. but can someone point me to a site or suggestion for replacement square rubber pads for the 2 post lift? mine are warn out.. and i dont want to just use any rubber...
thanks
mat
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM

While reading some of the web pages in this thread, I came upon something called a "mobile column lift"
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...fts/mp_series/

I've never seen let alone used one, but since they show them being used as "4 post" or "2 post" or "on the ends" in various pix, might have some configuration advantage. Not sure how hard would dare push on something up in the air on one.

I'd guess they are Expensive with a Cubic E....
Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Maybe you don't want a lift!

I have a 4 post lift and it is a great place to store one more car which is why I bought it. Maybe you really want a rotatory system that has the rams on each end to lift the body off the frame. Then you can work on sheet metal on all sides of the body. A 4 post takes up a lot of floor space and many don't lift high enough to work under without wiping out your back. Just my 2 cents. Fred26t
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Here is another option. I've seen these at car shows and thought it would be a good fit to keep from laying on the floor working on rockers.

http://www.kwiklift.com

Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Here is another option. I've seen these at car shows and thought it would be a good fit to keep from laying on the floor working on rockers.

http://www.kwiklift.com

I had one for 5 years. In the way when you don't need it.

I wish everyone could have a 54,ooo foot shop!

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service