Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Great thread. Thanks for the input.

Phil
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Great info here!

David, given the risks of overheating the torch, and the fact that many do use lightweight (hence smaller) torches what are your thoughts on cooling the torch?
Besides stopping and waiting (and interrupting a long run which probably isn't ideal), would faster cooling - like dunking the torch in a bucket of water - be a viable practice?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Barry I have nothing against lightweight torches this is a different thing to a jewellers torch. I can't see the sense in using a jewellers torch, especially if it needs specially modified tips to make it work with sheet metal. As far as I can ascertain the equivalent to the number five tip I use for welding 1.5mm aluminium for a meco midget torch is a number 7 tip. This is the largest tip listed. It's never a good idea to use anything flat out at full capacity in my experience.

The reflected heat from welding with a large tip will tend to make the torch hot. I never have to cool my tips. I have done it on the lightweight tips. You can dunk the tip in water with the oxygen turned on slightly.

I will put more information in my thread on gas welding equipment soon but there is a difference between being comfortable when welding and using the tiniest torch you can find.

I do not sell torches or any tools for that matter so I don't have a vested interest in any particular type of torch. My intention is only to help people make informed decisions.

David

All things are possible.

Last edited by David Gardiner; 07-11-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Thanks for the clarification David
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

David, just as a reference, I am using a #2 tip on my Mecco torch for .060" aluminum and my 'comfort' level in its use is guided somewhat by the fact that in my racing career, I have dislocated my right shoulder, torn ligaments near my wrist, broken two fingers and had to have my palm cut from a hot racing tire after it got melted to it. I just don't like the longer torches, as they are difficult for me to both hold and control. I have found that the Mecco meets my own needs, and I currently know of no one that has been injured by it's use.

Thank you for your input on these matters.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Barry I have nothing against lightweight torches this is a different thing to a jewellers torch. I can't see the sense in using a jewellers torch, especially if it needs specially modified tips to make it work with sheet metal. As far as I can ascertain the equivalent to the number five tip I use for welding 1.5mm aluminium for a meco midget torch is a number 7 tip. This is the largest tip listed. It's never a good idea to use anything flat out at full capacity in my experience.

The reflected heat from welding with a large tip will tend to make the torch hot. I never have to cool my tips. I have done it on the lightweight tips. You can dunk the tip in water with the oxygen turned on slightly.

I will put more information in my thread on gas welding equipment soon but there is a difference between being comfortable when welding and using the tiniest torch you can find.

I do not sell torches or any tools for that matter so I don't have a vested interest in any particular type of torch. My intention is only to help people make informed decisions.

David

A #7 tip,should weld .250" aluminum.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
A #7 tip,should weld .250" aluminum.
I guess it would, although I always using a cutting torch for that since it has enough heat and a big fat old flame.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.