All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default Side louvers

I like the last idea better than than the reverse, I might try 3 or 4 instead of 2 openings. Same air volume but less bold.

Since the wheels have the criss cross wire design, would that pattern look good in the side openings and the grille?

What do you think of multiple side louvers but horizontal with the decreasing length ?

Keep trying thing till it just looks right (to you) after all it is your design, when you are happy with it, your done!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
I might try 3 or 4 instead of 2 openings
I tend to prefer odd vs even numbers of elements as a design parameter.

Like i mentioned, no computer design fluency here. I do a lot with a light box. A dark outline ink drawing on the bottom with 1-2 layers of vellum on top works well. These various lines/curves I have mentioned can easily be laid out, each on a separate sheet, and laid on top of the inkling drawing. This way it is simple to superimpose somwhat of a grid over your line drawing, allowing you to trace outlines of vents in this case.

Studying the classic orders (Vignola) and accurately duplicating the drawings by hand more than once can be a huge benefit in understanding balance between positive and negative, necessary entasis and optical perception versus reality. Really simple to do and basically free. Dividers help a lot too. Certain mathematical functions are good to remember- golden ratio of approx 1:1.6 and Fibonacci number sequence. These are tools of basic necessity in any design imho because they work.

The size and shape of the vents matters as much as their separation from each other. The same dimension holes will appear smaller if the space between them is larger/dominant and vice versa. If the vents vary at a predictable rate, the space between them should also vary in a predictable rate. These may be unique to that single composition element or indexed to other similar elements, like the spacing of the elements on the radiator grill or something else as a means to unify the overall design.

Certainly not trying to know it all, just adding to the conversation and share what I can. The more I learn, the less I know....
Old 12-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Well, the circus has left for their own home (3 grandkids) and I'm playing with Photoshop again. In this photo, I did 3 narrower gills, made the top of the fender a hard line so you can see the gill radius matches the fender line, and made the top look more convertible like.

I have lots of room behind the seats in the cockpit. If I decide to have a top, I can make a foldable top that folds down behind the seats:

Name:  Coupe4 copy.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  75.3 KB

And how it is today for reference:

Name:  20161020_104725.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  76.1 KB

Just playing but it's a lot easier to do it here than in aluminum.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '14

Well Kerry.

I just read the thread over again, not every word but most.

You need a medal.

I tip my hat to you ,most would have given up with all the hurdles and redoes.

You deserve metal shaper of the month. I learn plenty out of these builds.
A friend told me once you have to do it to know how not to do it.

Your car looks great, I love the front view as well.

You get my vote.

Jim
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Kerry,

As the vents become a greater presence, what structures behind them might be revealed and visible? Are you thinking of some type of ductwork to isolate them for function/cosmetics or using a screen or grate to limit visual depth?
Old 12-26-2016, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
As the vents become a greater presence, what structures behind them might be revealed and visible? Are you thinking of some type of ductwork to isolate them for function/cosmetics or using a screen or grate to limit visual depth?
Something. Not sure what yet. But something.

Got a little time today. Decided to bump a bit on the left hand fender and tip the edge on the cockpit. I used my handy tipping tool to start the tip to the marked line.

Name:  20161226_144045.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  40.6 KB

After a couple passes it was about 45 degrees and I used a sharp edge dolly and slapper to sharpen up the turn and push it to 90 degrees. I then used my handheld Lancaster with stippled dies to get it to the correct curve which is a #12 sweep. My sweeps are different than some others. The number I think is 1/8 rise over 36" per number, so #12 is 12/8 over 36". The result will be the center of the cockpit curve will be about 1 1/2" higher than the edges.

Name:  20161226_152841.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  48.1 KB
Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Triple vent looks good!

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 12-27-2016, 04:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Hi Kerry, I know not for what shape you chose, but both forms are very modern. I feel it would suit vents rounded with no sharp ends. But just an opinion. Otherwise, I see a lot of the work ended and much more work waiting jet
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Christmas eve. House still asleep and I've already read to the end of the internet and fixed all the problems.

Goofing around with Photoshop and there are two things in this photo, a lift off top and new vent design on the side. Here is the original:

Attachment 39890

Attachment 39889

The top design is just playing around to see what a coupe version would look like. I don't like it much and don't have any plans to do anything in the short term. However, the idea of a roof and a car with AC would make it a lot more fun in Alabama weather.

The new side vent design I think I like a lot. Dan Route56wingnug Pate, suggested radiusing the top of the vent opening because there aren't any sharp edges on the car. I like that idea too and did it on this sketch.
I prefer the original concept shown in the second photo that Kerry did in photoshop. The rounded top and bottom edges flow well with the rest of the car, and give it just the right amount of accent. The other concepts just have too much going on, or have too much for straight edges, which don't fit with the smooth curves of this car. Just my humble opinion on this.

I'm glad to see Kerry making progress on this again

Eastern South Dakota (work & home)

Researching sheetmetal shaping and forming, starting to buy the tools and practice the techniques

My shop projects: www.kustomsbykent.com
Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Instead of adding vertical elements to the overall shape -- use horizontal elements instead. Quick example is a variation of a Bugatti T57S mesh side panel insert. (3 vs 1 panel) Needs further tweaking and variations but you can see how it makes the design look lower and longer.

Name:  horizontal.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  69.9 KB