All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 AM

Default How to take good photos of work?

I noticed in another thread here where RodDoc shows a newly welded door and says it really is much flatter than it looks. That is also my experience. When a panel is done as smooth as a girls behind and I take a picture it looks more like a pig's face!

Lighting conditions, grinding marks etc. contribute to this. But are there any easy tricks to make it look like it really is?

One example here. Both sides and the front of the lid have strips welded in to replace iron oxide. The right side is newly welded and the 2 other are actually very nice. The photo shows a panel that is lumpy all over. Even where no work was done and it was fine all along. At 2 o'clock from the keyhole it looks like it's damaged. It actually is original and smooth.

I'm sure with so many people here, some must be a photographer, hobby or pro?

I'm:
Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 AM

It looks lumpy because of the different colors (shades and stains) caused by the lighting of the fluorescent lights above your panel. Where the fluorescent light isn't reflecting in the panel it's dark.

1)
Try shooting with a piece of toilet paper in front of the flash (the flash turned on off course). This will cause the light to diffuse. The toilet paper also reduces the flash light, to avoid overexposing the reflecting panel.

2)
Also you're photo isn't in focus. Maybe caused by the low quality of the photo. Out of focus doesn't help to clearly see the panel obviously.

3)
It's also easier to zoom much further. I don't even think you'll need to flash. Take a spot so you don't suffer from the reflection of the fluorescent lights.

Thats the guess of an amateur

But apart from the whining about the quality, please keep taking pictures !
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default photo reflections

I have at times turned off the lights in the shop & just used the flash. other times used incandesent (light bulb) placed at a spot that doesn't reflect at the camera.

Most digital cameras also have settings for (white balance) different kinds of light. overcast daylight, sunny day, floresent lights, etc. using the correct one helps too.

not a pro here just tried a lot of things.

Steve