All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-18-2019, 03:48 AM

Default help with pexto ph52 hydraulic shear

i have purchased a pexto shear at auction that i had to rebuild all the electrical panel components due to a electrical fire. I have the unit working now but, have one issue... the main electrical contactor wont engage completely and buzzes when i push the start switch. if i hold my hand on the switch it will eventually close (30-45 seconds) and my motor will power up. I have also used a screwdriver to push on the contactor to start the motor just fine. when rebuilding this shear electrical components (mostly replacement of contactors and relays) there were some extra wires added to the system which i believe cause this fire. i think i found the cause of the contactor buzzing.. the transformer that is installed in the box is undersized. I was wondering if anyone has a pexto ph52 shear if they can let me know the part number or rating (kva)of transformer that is installed in their working machine. the transformer is located at the upper left hand portion inside the electrical panel. i would lke to thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this
Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Is it a 3 phase machine? If so are you running it off of real 3 phase electricity ? Or a phase converter? If running off of a phase converter make sure the controle circuit in not running off the manufactured leg of electricity.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM

yes, it is a 3 phase machine using a vfd. I will look into that. i just dont trust what the previous person has done with this machine. just wanted to get verification that the transformer installed on my machine is the correct one.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 PM

OK my machine is 3 phase. If I can get to the machine and take a picture of the control box I will. I found a manual but it does not match my machine . These machines have mad for a long time and along the was changes were made.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 AM

Thank you for doing this.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Here are a few pictures.

104_0794.jpg

104_0792.jpg

104_0793.jpg
Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 PM

Not sure if these will help. I purchased a manual for my machine but the wiring diagram does not match my machine. I also called pexto to ask about the push to test button I pictured. But they had no clue. My machine was wired for 440 and I switched the wiring to 220. It runs ok but if you let it run for a long time the thermal protection kick out. I need to change the heaters to the correct one for 220. I think they need to be for twice the amps as they were for 440.

Also does anyone know how the button I pictured should work? Its been awhile so I don't remember how it was working when I got it. Is the light suspost to be on when the machine is running? Or if the machine is running and the light is on does that mean there is a ground problem? I am not sure of the purpose of this Push to test switch. Is it a light that comes on when the machine is powered on or does it indicate a problem?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 PM

thanks for the photos. i quess i have the correct transformer installed. i will keep on with the troubleshooting to correct my issue.