All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Default Metalshaping Meets.. Comments and Suggestions

Metalshaper Meets

Metalshapers, and other groups of enthusiasts, enjoy getting together. The meetings serve many functions. In this internet age, it is nice to put a face with a name you have “met or have known of” on a forum. This social interaction is an important part of the events. History, stories and tales are told and retold. Lore and experiences are shared and passed along. Lifelong relationships are forged at these meets.

Another purpose of the meetings is to bring new people into the groups. All groups seem to have a constant stream of visitors with new or renewed interests. Often a meet will include someone who is well known with a respected reputation in the craft.

The meets also give people an opportunity to work together, learn new skills and use or try out different tools and materials. In addition others will be there to pass along ideas, techniques and information. Often the meets will include some seminars, either of a prepared presentation type or just a spur of the moment demonstration. It is surprising how much can be learned in such a short time. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned veteran, there always seems to something new. Everyone was a beginner at one time.

We are fortunate that a number of our fellow metalshapers host local or regional events throughout the year and around the world. These events are almost always open to anyone with an interest. It is an easy way to meet people and get involved. All you need to do is show up ready to enjoy the meet.

Most of the events are free, some will charge a nominal fee for materials or whatever. People swing open their shop doors and in most cases allow unlimited access to their tools, consumables and materials. Many attendees are complete strangers upon arrival, but not for long. People are welcomed, have full use of well equipped workshops and are surrounded by people willing and able to help in any way they can.

These meets are an amazing deal. For “free’ you get one to many days of fellowship, skill development and anything from fresh coffee to a couple of full meals and snacks all day and into the night.

These events, however, are not “free” for the host to put on. A day or many is spent prepping the shop for the meet. Metal supplies, welding materials and other supplies are stocked up to be ready. If the meet is at a place of business the shop may be closed for a few business days. At other locations the host may use a few days vacation for setup and tear down. Spouses, partners, family and friends are often recruited to make the event pleasant for all of us. The hosts deserve a big Thank You. They work hard for all of us.

Often someone will solicit donations to help the host defray costs. This is a nice way to say Thanks and a way to ensure that the host or someone nearby will have another meet. When the “donation bucket” passes your way; think about the costs the hosts have incurred on our behalf. Also consider the value you have received, the metal, welding stuff and abrasives you’ve used. The experience is priceless. None of the hosts expect a profit; but as responsible members we owe it to ourselves to help offset the costs incurred.

Last, the most amazing of all is the integrity of people involved in this craft. In the history of these meets, I’ve never heard of any thefts of tools, gross misuse or damage to the hosts or others tools, supplies and equipment; or any other problems. There may be a pinched finger or bumped elbow occasionally, but the safety record is also a testament to those in this craft.

Keep up the good work, hosts and attendees. Enjoy the upcoming meets.

Got a comment or suggestion? Please post your ideas or experiences.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Well said Richard.....

Given all that one receives at these events, tangible and intangible, whether spectator or actively working on something, the benefits and knowledge far exceeds those few dollars that we contribute.

Be generous with your money at these events and do anything you can to help out in the organization, activities and cleanup. The work that goes into sponsoring these events is not anywhere as easy as attending them. Assure that your host is not financially impacted by being generous.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Very good Richard. I tried one meet in my area, and I think everyone thought it was an open house or something. At the time I was the only member within alot of miles and nobody knew what to expect.

I have never gone to a meet and left without gaining some good tips, and freinds. Plus it is a good feeling being able to help someone or pass on ideas. It's the best money I've spent in this hobby.

I always put into the kitty. There have been times I wish I could give more, but I always do what I can. I think there should be a "Minimum fee" for the meets to offset the costs. If you had a $20.00 minimum donation I think there would be more members willing to open there shops up to have meets.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM

I think its poor form to ask for a fee for regional meets. I myself, and know of others who only had left gas money to get there and back. At our meet, usually someone announces the kitty bucket is on the bench, and do what you can sort of thing, and believe me, it is MUCH appreciated. But, I dont do it for the money. I do it so I can pass on any knowlege and skills I have gotten from others through the years.

The people I have met, the knowlege gained, and the lifelong friendships I have made make hosting a meet well worth the effort. Totally priceless.

The whole idea of this was to freely distribute the knowlege that was unavailable previously. I'd like to see that remain a tradition.

Marty