All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Default English wheel design questions

Hi, I've been gathering parts also to build an english wheel and I've seen comments about using a 4x8 go kart slick on another thread. Is that referring to putting a slice of inner tube over the upper wheel to just make a "one" direction curve or does that mean something else? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and design mine in a way that might knock me out of some important add-on features. If anyone can shed light on that i would appreciate it.

Also, I noticed most of the designs people are building lately have the upper wheel movable and the lower anvil fixed. Is there a reason that method seems to be better? I'm not commited to either design yet but at first I was leaning towards the Glover, Metalcraft design because you could lower the bottom anvil by rotating the quick release lever to get past a flange or feature and then put it pack to regain your position. It seems like that would be very helpful but maybe I'm overthinking it. I've been seeing some great pictures on other english wheel threads and its making me want to hurry up and start mine. I would appreciate any insight on design preferences and why.

thanks, Herman
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Decker View Post
Hi, I've been gathering parts also to build an english wheel and I've seen comments about using a 4x8 go kart slick on another thread. Is that referring to putting a slice of inner tube over the upper wheel to just make a "one" direction curve or does that mean something else?
Hello Herman,

The go-kart slick mentioned is an actual wheel and tire that replaces your upper wheel, and is used to roll profiles over a shaped lower anvil. The tire is inflated to a low pressure, so that it will follow the contours of the lower die with even pressure all the way across when you push the metal through. This method is useful when you wish to add a simple roll feature to the sheet, without otherwise stretching or shrinking it in any way.

The previous posters are likely suggesting the importance of providing adequate vertical travel in the adjuster for the 8" diameter go-kart slick to fit in there, while the frame is still being designed and built.

Ken

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011

Last edited by kenb; 02-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Default Thanks Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb View Post
Hello Herman,

The go-kart slick mentioned is an actual wheel and tire that replaces your upper wheel, and is used to roll profiles over a shaped lower anvil. The tire is inflated to a low pressure, so that it will follow the contours of the lower die with even pressure all the way across when you push the metal through. This method is useful when you wish to add a simple roll feature to the sheet, without otherwise stretching or shrinking it in any way.

The previous posters are likely suggesting the importance of providing adequate vertical travel in the adjuster for the 8" diameter go-kart slick to fit in there, while the frame is still being designed and built.

Ken
Thanks Ken, that now makes sense and I will definately try and design mine so i can use that feature.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2019

I think Surplus Center still has some. These are a little different than the one I bought but I think you could make it work with some spacers.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...catname=wheels

MGB roadster widened 11.5", Corvette C-4 suspension, 535 hp supercharged LT1 V8, T-56 6 speed.
Pictures here: It goes to Part 6 now
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422