All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

My advise would be to forget the wheel for a while. Form some parts by hand to get a feel for how the metal forms. A wheel is not very intuative to use. Compound curves are only a small part of the skill. learn to weld in a way that you can join two sections of steel without loads of grinding. This is the most important skill to me, without it whatever else you do is going to be adversly effected. If you look at just about any hand made part you will see that it is made from several sections joined together. Often people try to form too much in one section seemingly because they are trying to avoid putting joints in.

The radiator shell in my recent thread is made from five sections welded together.

David

All things are possible.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 AM

Default New Project

When you get started on a project no matter what it is, take your time and watch how the material is moving. After you get just a little movement stop and look at the piece and remember exactly what you did to get that shape. Don't try to go so far that when you stop that you can't duplicate what you just did.

Whatever you make have fun with it, and post some pictures, good or bad. You can get some very good help here.
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:20 AM

thanx for the advise guys will post up some progress pics in the next week or so. with the welding i am a sheet metal fabricator by trade with a lot of stainless experience so all welds were sanded/ground and polished so i should be right for the welding side of things will prob start with a half hemisphere and let you all know the progress and try and post up some pics also....

thanx a million much appreciated everyone
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlo View Post
also what are your opinions on home made bead rollers as i have plans for them..Again thanx for all the replies keep em coming
Back when I had access to a lathe, I was thinking along the homemade lines myself until I looked at this, for the time and $ I went this way:

http://www.woodwardfab.com/woodward_...ad_rollers.htm

I paid $80 three years ago because I had a coupon. I see you are in Aus, you are closer to China where this one was made, I suspect you can find it's twin locally. I have seen this exact roller under various brands for different prices here in the USA. Many threads elsewhere on re-inforcing it, I have not seen a need to do that so far, with 18 ga, I do have to sometimes make a second pass with certain bead profiles, however. One "upgrade" I made on mine was an old steering wheel to replace the hand crank. I also put a short length of pipe on it to enable me to mount it into an unused engine stand.

Last edited by weldtoride; 03-06-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Wade, I see you're from Toowomba, should't you build a boat first. Man I watched some of those flooding videos, and all I did was pray for you folks over there. Anyways best of luck with your first project. I started mine a few weeks ago,I'm trying to make an old style welding helmet out of sheet metal.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Hey thane for the thoughts regarding the floods over here it was
Pretty hectic mainly cause we had no warning and we are on a hill
So lots of people thought it would never happen lol the miracles
Of mother nature but all is well now.the re building is on going and may
Take some time but.thane again for the thoughts