All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post
That deer would have made a warm new coat.

Lookin good!
Yes it would have, IF I had killed it... Only saw it after the hit, running in the direction it had been going when it hit me..

Got a bit more done on the passenger side. Fitting the new panels in and getting the lower flange bent up.

Been so dang cold I can only work for an hour or so. I need to prep and paint the cowl before I weld these patches in. Don't know when that will happen.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 PM

Went out this afternoon and cut out the replacement drain channel parts. I am doing this in two pieces rather then one just to ease getting everything welded in.
These are the tall covers that keep water coming off the upper cowl from splashing down on the fresh air vents. LH and RH.

These are the flat patterns for the actual channel that goes under the cover. One is left, one is right. I'll get these bent up tomorrow.

I modeled these up last Monday... It was 9 degrees here, I was NOT going out to the shop...
Here are dimensioned drawings if you want to copy them.
The covers, 1 right, 1 left, mind the bend, this is the right hand side.

This is the flat pattern for the channels. Again there are two needed, 1 left and 1 right. This is the right side.

This is the right side bent up.

These are some screen shots of my computer models.

Mark
Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM

I dug out the 3 in 1 this morning and got the two channels bent up.

For a cheap HF bender this thing does a good job. I've been using it for 8 years and have not been disappointed with it...

Getting them bent the long way was the hard part. After some offhand cutting on the bandsaw I could get the them bent into the shape needed for the cowl.

There isn't much I can do to get these fit to the cowl until I get the patch panels welded in.
Passenger side.
[imghttps://media.fotki.com/2v2HofE2Fx9EDKg.jpg][/img]
Drivers side.

With the channel covers held in place. These should work!

Thanks for watching.
Mark
Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM

I did fire the car up and move it outside while I did the bending. I really appreciate the TBI F.I. The car hadn't been started since August and she fired right up! I let her idle for about half an hour while I worked on the channels.

After Going in to warm up and have some lunch I hit it again. this time I was working on the warm side.
I pulled off all of the patch panels earlier and had them on the warm side. I punched the plug weld holes in the pass. side stuff, hit them all with a wire wheel and got some self-etching primer on them.
Drivers side parts.

Passenger side parts.

Primed and ready to go!

That's what I did today. Now, to get the Astro chassis moved so I can get this car on the warm side...
Mark
Old 11-18-2019, 06:25 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Good stuff.

Piecing little bits together has to be the worst part of car restorations. It can really try one's patience, but you're handling it really well.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Piecing stuff together is tedious, yes. It may have been easier to replace the whole corner but I didn't want to dig into it that far. This repair is not pretty but it will give new life back to the car and it all gets covered up by the outer cowl anyway. With this done I can be confident there will be no water leaks and the lower hinge won't collapse so it's a good thing.
Mark
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Not really metal working but this was keeping the wagon out of the heated side of my shop.
I am building a Pro-Touring Astro van chassis on the heated side of the shop. I had an issue with the hidden valve stems on the front wheels hitting the Vette brake calipers. To get the chassis movable I had to fix the problem.
I had a buddy weld up the old holes, and I drilled new ones outboard of the spokes so they would have no interference with the calipers.

Now to get the shop cleaned up and the wagon rolled over here.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 PM

Did a lot of cleaning and vehicle shuffling today. The wagon and Astro chassis have swapped places so I can get to work finishing the cowl tomorrow.
These pics are off my phone, sorry for their largosity...

Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 PM

I've been picking away at the patch panels. I had some scrap leather I was "saving" for something. I used a couple of strips to protect the wiring and fuse box from the welding heat. Seemed to work fairly well. I did start a couple of small fires but I was keeping my eye on the interior AND I had a blowgun and the air hose already staged inside because I knew this would happen. No big deal, and I used the air gun to cool off the welds from the inside as I was doing them. Took me most of the day but going slow was a good thing.
The leather strips were from a Wassely chair I refurbished a couple of years ago.

Stuffed up into the top of the dash they covered all of the wiring and down to the floor.

With all of the panels in place.

That all happened Wednesday. I didn't get out to the shop yesterday. This morning I went out and hit all of the weld holes with a cartridge roll on the angle grinder.

Getting the welding started.

The welding went "okay". Had no issues where there was new steel. The old rusted steel was pretty thin and I had to go easy with very short trigger pulls on the gun. had to "build up" the thin steel to get it heavy enough to support the heat from a full spot weld pull.
Everything is pretty complete at this point. Still have two loose panels to put in but I needed to knock down the height on the welds a bit to get them to fit correctly.

Everything welded in and primed. Definitely not very pretty but it will do the job. Still need to fit the drain channels in but I was running out of steam by the time this was done.

Got a lot done today, won't get too much done tomorrow but Sunday should see the passenger side welded up and possibly the drain channels as well.
Thanks for looking.
Mark
Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 PM

Got out to the shop early Saturday morning, didn't have much time as we were headed to the west side of the state for family stuff.
I got the drivers side drain channel fit up and screwed into place.

I was going to weld all of this in but right now I think I will just run a couple more screws into it and leave it at that. It's not structural so, doing it this way, will let me coat the entire flange with seam sealer, screw it down and then smooth out the transitions. No welding means the seam sealer will cover the whole flange so it will be fully sealed up.
I'll do the same with the big cover plate.

Once everthing is primed and the rest of the cowl seam sealed this will be a permanent fix. I will probably have to do some trimming to this anyway to get the outer cowl to slip over it but that will be easy if it is removable.
Mark