All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 PM

Again great work. Thinking way ahead on the tail lite question....if you are looking for a more updated clean look, consider no bezel just a cutout for the lens. Below is what I did for my 56 chevy pu. The original liters were on stalks outside the rear bed stake posts. I wanted a cleaner look but still retain the classic look, thus the tailgate chains. Point is the lens hole was laid out with red paper, your brain will think taillight, then cut out. The actual taillight was fabricated using 1/4 in thick semi transparent acrylic sheet and red led lighting strips that can be purchased by yard, the cut to length. The whole completed assembly is waterproof and held in place with a set of wooden wedges that expand as they are tightened. I can include more info if you like. I will probably use medium dark window tint on the red lens to darken it up and blend better with the blue body. Could have used a grey plastic but wasn't sure. The red leds should still be plenty bright and contains both stop and turn. I may still take them back out and machine away the outside perimeter to allow them to sit flush with the body. Just me.
Name:  IMG_0116.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  78.8 KB

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 11-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Photo I found on FB of a car that reminds me a bit of what I think you're going for:

Name:  Caddy.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 11-30-2016, 08:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I'm going to start on the inboard side next. This will be much more difficult to do than the outboard side was. Everything on this side is modified and the side of the rear deck that it mates to is also modified. I will only have the rear lower corner of the rear body panel and a level line to start with... Not much information.
Speaking of level, I rechecked the car to make sure it was still level front to back and side to side. I do this often and recheck measurements often. I haven't mentioned it but it's very important. Especially if other people have access to your work space. If I make any mistakes here, I'll be making garbage times two later.
I had been using a rough sweep of the deck profile made of sheet metal for visual aid but it's not accurate enough to work from. I'll also be adding 1" of width to the mounting flange along the edge of the fender. The profile along the top of the fender has also been modified.

Name:  591.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  69.9 KB

So first up, I need to transfer the shape of the quarter panel mounting surface to the buck. I held a scrap of 1/4" plywood up against the quarter panel and traced shape of the fender mounting area.

Name:  592.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  64.1 KB

Then I used a level to mark a reference line across the piece. That's all the information I have to work with right now.

Name:  593.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  64.3 KB

There are a couple areas at the bottom of stations 1, 5 and 6 that were taken right off the original fender so with a level line, a location of the bottom corner of the rear body panel, and a couple measurements along the bottom edge I am able to place the template accurately on the buck. After clamping it down, I took some measurement off the radius of the forward edge to confirm. I wouldn't use measurements taken from a rounded area to locate the template but I think it's accurate enough to double check from.
Not much to show for 4 hours of work (3 1/2 hours of scratching my head and 1/2 hour of work). But it's progress.

Name:  594.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  67.6 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

great work jack and congrats on MSOTM

keep at it
Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Congratulations Jack, well deserved MSOTM!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:59 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Beautiful work Jack

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 12-01-2016, 03:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2010, Dec 2011, Nov 2014, Feb 2016, March 2021

Default Msotm

Congratulations Jack on MSOTM
Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Thanks for the congrats and thanks to Admin for the award. I appreciate it.
Now lets get down to it. What I need to do is take measurements off of the original fender to get the distance from the peak of the fender inward to the mounting flange plus one inch for additional tire clearance, minus 3/8" for half the width of the MDF. I'm measuring at each station and transferring them to the template at the corresponding station locations.
After that I cut two of each size out of some scrap wood and mounted them to the template.

Name:  595.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  596.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  597.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  61.5 KB

I clamped the template to the buck and aligned it to where it belongs. Looks like I forgot to add an inch at station #4. I'll make a couple new spacers and replace them. Hot tip for the younger guys: you can do the math in your head till you hit 60. After that, write it down.

Name:  598.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  65.7 KB

I cut the forward end of the template just beyond the #1 station. This is where the edge of the flange crosses over the buck to the outboard side. This template is a temporary addition to the buck. All it will do is give me a reference line so I can make the permanent stations. After that it comes off.

Name:  599.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  58.8 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug 2016, Feb 2017, Sept 2018, Dec 2020, Aug 2022

Congrats on MSOTM! Keep up the excellent work 👍
Old 12-02-2016, 03:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Well deserved award mate.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.