All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Metal Rolling attachment

I did not want to hi-jack the basic tools thread so I copied the pic here.

John,
What are you using for a lower anvil? Just a guess but true radius correct? I also assume that by varing ther pressure you can vary the radius of the panel...

Also the tracking is along the pattern lines, Yes?

Thanks for the idea. Nice simple way to increase the versitility of the Wheel....

Tim
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Even simpler (and cheaper) is to wrap a cut off piece of inner tube over the upper wheel. I was shown how to do this in Lazzes course, and it works. Choose a lower that is the next smaller radius to what you want your result to be. You have to push the sheet through in many passes as it does not shape a large area. My guess is the roller skate wheels will need less passes.

I don't know if Lazzes wheels have a flat on the anvils. I did not know about that at that time. But my guess is the flat should not be too wide when using it this way.

Where did the flat anvil come from? Maybe it was invented by someone wearing a flat into a full radius anvil?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. The above gizmo is used with a wheel? From the original post i had the impression it was self-standing so now i am really confused.
John would you mind doind a little 'show-n-tell' on that device? Thanks, oj
Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

OJ, to bend a simple role, you can use any number of devices such as:

- Slip Roll
- Piece of Pipe,
- Lots of small bends in a leaf brake
- two hands and your knee
- Go Kart slick
- Johnny's skate wheel attachment
- Rubber wheel
- Inner tube

What the last 4 have in common is that they all have a certain amount of give to them and allow the metal to be pushed up INTO the give while the edges of the slick, or the skate wheels, etc, apply pressure which allows the metal to bend while it is being pushed back and forth.

If you think about bending metal over your knee, you'll realize that the further apart your hands are, the more leverage you have and the faster/easier you can bend the metal.

The Go Kart slick is about 4" wide (picture your hands as the sidewalls), Johnnys skate wheel appear about the same. The inner tube that Lasse uses has very little leverage because the rubber band presses down right beside the center of the radius.

The advantage of the inner tube is that it's very smooth and slow. The slick is MUCH faster but you can put lines in the panel if you get nuts with the pressure.

Yes, these are used on a frame like an ewheel. I attempt to use a much modified HF Cwheel as a slick machine and it almost is acceptable.

Oh, you need to use a true radius die instead of a contact flat. The soft upper will bend OVER the transition zone of the flat and leave lines in the panel. We use a true radius wooden die because I have lots of 3" diameter hardwood. There is no pressure on them because the metal is being bent (again, think of your knee) rather than stretched.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Kerry covered it all.

I have contact flats and they do leave marks.I don't have a set of true radius anvils. So I just do a wash out to clear the marks.

I have tried the rubber band and it did not work for me. I am not going to argue with Lazze about it. The go-cart slick and my roller push the metal down on the edges of the anvil.The rubber band will only push the metal down the thickness of the rubber.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM

I really like the idea behind this one of Johnny's. Not everones E-Wheel allow's for a go-kart slick to be addded, but this can be fabricated to suit the user's E-Wheel.
I think more pick's of this in it's "As Used" state would go a long way to help those who struggle to see how it works.
Thanks Again for a GREAT Idea Johnny

Shrapnel
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 PM

Johm,
Thanks for the info. Time to hit the toy store!

Tim
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Allow me to add 1/2 of another to Kerry's list. I use a urethane caster for mine. The urethane is thinner than a slick but much thicker than an inner tube, so it kind of splits the difference. The advantage of the urethane caster wheel, for me, was the price. Yep, you guessed it, FREEBIE - Zip - Zero - NADA!

A slick would be cool, but they cost money. Johnny's idealooks pretty cool too.....but I don't have a scrap scooter laying around and didn't find any at the garage sales this past summer.

Tim D.