All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Default What would be better??

When taking out dents in panels. Would it be better to use a pick hammer, or a ball peen type hammer??
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

A slapper, perhaps?

metal_00014.JPG

The slappers in the pic were made from discarded leaf springs. A slapper has more surface area, spreading the force and works exceptionally well for levelling the surface.

Are you talking about a body hammer? The pick end of the pick hammer has done more damage than good, IMHO.

I think a ball peen hammer is useful for shaping and for removing stubborn dents, but a slapper is much better for the finishing portion.

Tim D.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Boy do I have the leaf springs. Do you use that slapper hammer on the top, or on the bottom of the panel, or both sides?? I have never used one before..
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantback37 View Post
When taking out dents in panels. Would it be better to use a pick hammer, or a ball peen type hammer??
For me I would never use a pick hammer, and for a majority of the dents I would use a slapper and the proper dolly
-----------
www.39chevy.com
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Pick Fan

Personally i like the pick hammer... sometimes... in certain situations it is beneficial to raise small low areas. I've used the pick mostly when dealing with dents on the top of fenders, just for the last couple of small stubborn low spots. Took me a long time to be able to target that pick exactly where I needed it though. I follow the pick with a vixen file to smooth out the metal finish.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dent-repair-55730.html

The slapper is used on the outside of the panel with the proper dolly supporting the panel from the backside.

Since those last few low spots in a panel are often there due to stretching, I'm not a huge fan of using the pick to raise them. I prefer using the slapper to even out and level the whole surface to a nice average and then use a shrinking disk to finish it off.

The link at the top of this post is from the folks who taught me....so maybe I'm biased.

Tim D.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 AM

Default ball peen

I have seen a ton of body panels trashed with ball peen hammers. same with picking end. Carefull how you use those bad boys. My first choice are assorted dollys and low {crown} body hammers. I hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

I've used pick hammers like a punch. I'll find a low spot and set the pick end on the dent and tap on the head end with another hammer. I have alot more luck using a cross peen to pick a dent out. Find the magic hammer thread. I think is was on MM. I have a magic hammer and it seems to work....
Jeff
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM

I read the article on taking out dents. Very interesting. I would like to end up not having any bondo on the car at all. I am not very good as far as the body work goes. I have Arthritis setting in both hands, so it gets hard to hold the tools. I have lots of dents also. I thought of having all of my fenders glass, but I wanted it real, so I went with steel..
Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I am going to try making a few of those slapper hammers out of leaf springs. How long should the faces be??

Also. with a hammer and dolly.. How do I know if they are hardened?? Will it say hardened steel faces??