Cheers Paul
Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Wonderful article!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
I think most bucks were considered "yesterday's news" and due to the very limited space in most European workshops, they weren't considered worth keeping. I know of only one original Bugatti buck that still exists...an extremely simple buck for a Type 51. Space got even more expensive as Europe recovered from WWII by the 1970s that Chapron (who was the original owner of the olive machine that Cooper has) had to move out of his Parisian workshop as did another high end carrosserie, Le Coq. They moved from northern Paris near St. Ouen across the Seine river to cheaper space north of La Defense in the suburbs.
Bill. It's an interesting machine. Do I understand correctly that this machine will make the first sheet metal adaptation - deep deflection? Allows shape curves. Horizontally to the left and to the right?

Some time ago I bought a powerful bead roller. They gave me two pulleys with like simmilar them Olive. The machine has a fault and I did not have time repare with it. I want try it. Maybe did only the gutter drains for houses on the machine. Something like that I see that do boys do on Olive.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanks Bill. Very interesting article on a beautiful car. Especially enjoyed the section on lacquers employed in finishing.

Fascinated with the olive machine too. Not certain I fully understand its use other than rolling in shape sans shrink or stretch?

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the link, great reading.

Is this an extract from the limited edition published on Saoutchik a couple of years ago? I saw it and was tempted but couldn't justify the cost. If this is an example of what was in it I'm regretting my decision....
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

An "olive machine" curves a sheet of metal, but does not stretch it the way an English wheel does. You can achieve the same result in an English wheel if you use a soft upper wheel, such as a go-kart tire.

The French carrosseries used olive machines to get a quick curve in a fender or a roof line, and then used a martinet for actual stretching and shaping.

That has been Mohamed's technique to this day. Ben van Berlo's Mechammer II and Mechbammer are developments of the French martinet, which is a pneumatic power hammer. I believe martinets were more controllable (and safer) than the Italian maglios (small trip hammers), or the northern European version of maglios called helve hammers.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:06 AM

Bill. Thank you for the explanation. I thought it right. Olive is for the first coarse bend. Completing the shape is a matter of another art.
I still think about this technology. The basic question. It will make it easier or harder for work. If I work exactly from the size of the model.

When will be the machine is set up and in action, could you make a small video in action for an information? It's interesting and unusual.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Yes Jaroslav. The next time I visit Mohamed at his new shop/school in Tunisia I'll make a video. When he worked for Cooper in Lyon photography wasn't permitted.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Yes Jaroslav. The next time I visit Mohamed at his new shop/school in Tunisia I'll make a video. When he worked for Cooper in Lyon photography wasn't permitted.
Yes, when photographing, it is necessary to honor the wish of the owner who shows you with confidence and his technological consciousness. In today's of more schizophrenia world.
In one workshop about 12 years ago, they showed me the fundamentals of sheet metal shaping. They showed me everything I asked. Only just what I asked. I was there for about 2 hours. It ended with a statement - if you are stupid and manual stupid, you cannot never use this information.

The more I am aware of the shaping, the more I realize the true of the sentence.
It is very difficult to pass on knowledge. It is very hard to find someone who wants to develop them. How many years need for geting information. How long it will be possible to use information and combine it with practical experience. How will long time he can work than his body forbids him it.
When he returns his efforts.
These are terrible questions. No pessimism, but reality.

Passing consciousness is a duty !!!

I look forward to will see and hearing about this interesting technology.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Here's a great PDF down-loadable article on Mohamed Awadi using an olive machine in David Cooper's shop in France. When Tim Barton originally reported on "olive machines" in his metal shaping history series, he said there were only two in existence (including the one in this article which was formerly owned by Henri Chapron in Paris. However, Mohamed has told me he recently located a third one and is having it shipped to his new shop in Tunisia.

Again, great article with lots of useful photos.

https://www.coopertechnica.com/_pdf/...m_Delahaye.pdf
Hi,

Last weekend, I heard a rumor of a fourth Olive machine, here in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I'm trying to follow up on the rumor, it seems to be a bit out of place here in Wisconsin, but stranger things have happened.

Will let you know what I find.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.