All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Individual Classifieds
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Default Free stumps

I live in Northern Illinois, Chain O' Lakes area, and have lost many ash trees to the EAB, Emerald ash borer. I have an abundance of dead ash trunks on the ground, I am milling the longer straight trunks for lumber, and heating my shop this winter with ash, and still have more trees to drop this winter.

I am offering ash stumps to anyone willing to come pick them up. The larvae tunnels around in the cambium layer of the live tree; the damage is limited to that part of the tree. Unfortunately, the cambium is the circulatory system of the tree so "limited" is a probably a poor choice of words, as the tunneling kills the tree. However, the heartwood and softwood is unaffected. EAB is rampant in Northern Illinois and Southern WI, but if it is not in your locality yet, you should definitely not bring these home. The bark falls off of these logs easily and any larvae are easy to see. I have not found any live larvae on these dead logs as the larvae turns into an adult and emerges out of the bark to fly away in search of a healthier ash tree to lay its own eggs in. My trees died 1-3 years ago. A call to your local forester or tree service will tell you if EAB is in your area.

My variety is Green Ash, cut standing dead as I mentioned, but still has a moisture content high enough that my moisture meter can't register, over 33%.

Somebody's likely gonna badmouth ash for stumps, go ahead, but don't badmouth the price.

I have various diameters I can cut to your desired length, but you carve on them afterwards.

PM me if interested

Here you can see what the bug does, other than KILLING the tree, the wood is unaffected past the cambium layer:

Last edited by weldtoride; 10-17-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added pics