All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Patch shape question

Saw this over on Mark Scranton's thread on the beautiful work he's doing on his Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Really good to see your progress, Mark.....

...Meco and #1 tip. Weld bead width = 0.175" Welds are a little tiny bit proud so they can be sanded off with 180 at high speed.

Starting a new thread here as I wanted to ask Kent about the patch shape in this photo. It's "out of the box", pun intended, as so many patch panels are rectilinear, but some do utilize a rounded corner as has been discussed for strain relief. However, this patch shape seems to make a lot of sense to me as far as ease and accuracy in correcting shrinking effects after welding.

So, my question is, is the curved weld join by design with shrinking in mind, or just following the damage?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
Saw this over on Mark Scranton's thread on the beautiful work he's doing on his Chrysler.

Starting a new thread here as I wanted to ask Kent about the patch shape in this photo. It's "out of the box", pun intended, as so many patch panels are rectilinear, but some do utilize a rounded corner as has been discussed for strain relief. However, this patch shape seems to make a lot of sense to me as far as ease and accuracy in correcting shrinking effects after welding.

So, my question is, is the curved weld join by design with shrinking in mind, or just following the damage?
Hekuva good question....
As most do after a hundred or so iterations on dozens of restos, I "know" what I want and don't even think about why I am laying out what I am patching in.

1) yes, I am outside the rust/thin/damaged.

2) I tend to have minimum sizes for certain shapes, depending on how much shape is in them, where they are going, and how many are needed. One job may need 15 "rat-bite" patches in fender edges with either half-round returns or wired edges, and I plan those to be roughly all the same size because it's easier to set up and go on the repeatables.

These two fenders had the same rust issues in the same places, so I planned the form blocks to be reversible and made both sides' patches rapidly, and then shaped (stretch centers and shrink edges) to fit and then arc'd the cuts to include all the issues. I like rounded corners on my patches. When I compared my times on both square and rounded many years ago, on same car, same sq. inches in patches, and with a timer going, the rounded are faster - for me - using my metalworking style.

(Style: the fundamental elements of metal work are pretty much the same, from what I have observed across many master craftsmen over the decades, but how we choose and use these elements makes our style an individual expression.)

3) Hole filling can be a 1.5" circle, or a 1/2" weld nugget, depending on how good the metal is and what else is needed. I have pilot-point hole saws that don't make center holes, or I snip circles with hand snips. Round edges, again.

Re: the Ford truck patches - I made larger panels than needed, by 1.5" overall. When I am done shaping them and fitting to the fender I mark the outline on the fender and then use my cutter to arc what I see needed, then sand the cut edges smooth, lay up the panel against and scribe off and whittle the patch to fit.

Helpful?

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Mark great observation, and great question.

Kent very helpful, thanks for the reasoning behind the answer, makes great sense. A logical conclusion from fact gathered over the years.

Thanks for sharing with the group, always appreciated!!!

Steve
Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Mark great observation, and great question.

Kent very helpful, thanks for the reasoning behind the answer, makes great sense. A logical conclusion from fact gathered over the years.

Thanks for sharing with the group, always appreciated!!!

Steve
Glad to help.

Also another thing that is automatic is ease of fitting in - rectilinear is more time-consuming than long simple curves ... ie: a rectangle with rounded corners takes 2x the time to fit (or 3x) over the simple arch.

(Maybe it's laziness.....?)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:34 PM

Default thanks, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post

...Helpful?
Very, thanks for taking time for the detailed answer.