All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Default English wheeling robots.

Hi,

This came across my Facebook news feed this morning and I thought I would share. An interesting idea...
https://www.azahner.com/blog/efficie...n-architecture

I wish the school system would have reached out to the metal shaping community, it would of helped with their learning curve.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

It is interesting. There was a similar idea here.
The problem is feedback. Wheel stiffness, radius, supplied material. Yes, it is a meaningful way. But the final blow by hammer or bend over the edge of the table, room temperature, will be a major factor for ending.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Meet Hosts

Trying to replace me with a robot? I am very offended.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM

It's not here, but some women have done it ..... why not a Kuka robot.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

This came across my Facebook news feed this morning and I thought I would share. An interesting idea...
https://www.azahner.com/blog/efficie...n-architecture

I wish the school system would have reached out to the metal shaping community, it would of helped with their learning curve.

B
My opinion, based on actual experience of similar efforts in my profession-

For whatever reason(s), there seems to be a limited interest in viably incorporating traditional expertise and Masters into a modern high tech George Jetson approach. Referencing whatever black magic craft is usually part of the sales pitch, with difficulty or inadequacy for satiating high volume needs via such hard to train experts provided as the reason for going digital. The goal is to eliminate those Masters, not celebrate them as indispensable.

Regardless of how their experiment ends, digitizing and automating the work- especially if done with prorpietary equipment & software that commands the income stream- is the boilerplate to get paid. Follow the money. That buzz will drive fundraising and investment much better than a old-fashion proposal seeking to train a factory of traditional craftsmen....

Until an adequate archive of information is developed, one-off work may still be too complicated and expensive for a machine to produce alone from start to finish. but the simple repetitive work that can be done in the machine will wipe out hand work. As an expert, be mindful of EVERYTHING you post online. the cumulative effect of that knowledge can help the competition succeed in their effort to perfect their method & equipment. Sharing info helps all of us learn, but there's a difference between a community effort working together so all succeed and a cutthroat competitor who only seeks to defeat all others. A farmer sees a field much differently than a real estate developer.

When it's your job, it's very real.

Rant over.....
Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 PM

I wonder if the process would work better if there was a thick plate the metal would rest on and the robot arm would move a radiused anvil on the topside, rather than instead of moving the metal to be formed?
I could see this having potential for those big architectural parts.

ærugo nunquam dormit

Last edited by steve.murphy; 02-26-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Progress uou will not stop . But love diminishes. Those who look only in the monitor lose contact with reality.
Not everywhere power can be used. Sometimes the basic simple logic is forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxysBla3NyI
Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

It's a two way street, I find.

Each year I am given a group of engineering students to mentor and it's a very gratifying thing to do. This year I set my team to measuring a vehicle so they could reproduce it in CAD then run CFD on it.

They are young, devour any knowledge I put their way and are incredibly clever, and the worst of it is that their university lecturer sells me as some sort of Grand Master when in reality these kids are streets ahead of me in so many ways.

But this time I had them baffled. First thing was, I made them work in feet and inches as they were working on an old vehicle. They argued until I pointed out that none of them would ever work in America until they had this down and even in the UK there are many viable projects that date to the pre-metric era.

With that grudgingly sorted they instantly assimilated feet and inches, except that they just couldn't work out a process to get the curved shapes on paper until I taught them how to bend a piece of welding wire then draw around it.

They thought this was absolute genius, and it is!

But then they blew my socks off in return by telling me the weight of something I'd always wondered about by calculating its volume in CAD then telling me how much water it would displace and therefore how much it weighed - clever.

We both taught each other a great deal on that job.

The future is unstoppable, let's be honest here, and I'm now well and truly behind the curve at my age so I'm just happy to be in the privileged position of being able to help in some useful way those who are making it happen.

I'd rather give away my skills to the next generation of engineers as fast as I can so that what's of use can endure rather than sentimentally bemoaning their passing.

Will

Will

William Pointer

Last edited by AllyBill; 02-26-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

I see good results of consistent passes, and the pass geometry may also be changed at critical needs.
Non-tiring arms and long attention spans are also benefits.
Having a second Bot setting the roll pressure and changing rolls would be a next step.
Same as with the Tesla auto body production line, it takes a few units for the Bots to align them selves to the task with acceptable precision ... (so the handskill guys clean up after-Bots, for the first 300 or so bodies - that is acceptable for the production run ....)

And for one of Ghery's undulating metal 3-story monuments, making the ten thousand or so random panels could happen all day, all night, 7days, week after week after .... depending on the ability of the shape-recognition software to translate over to the Glover-Bot.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post

I'd rather give away my skills to the next generation of engineers as fast as I can so that what's of use can endure rather than sentimentally bemoaning their passing.

Will
Altruism between craftsmen is necessary and very cool. when altruism is exploited to recast what was freely shared as proprietary & forever locked away behind legal structures to the benefit of that single new entity, that's not.

If you truly invented it, it should be yours to do with as you please. Otherwise, like so many things in life, it's all good until someone gets greedy and selfish.