All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > MetalShapers Hall of Fame
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default How to be the Metal Shaper of the Month

Every month we try to find someone worthy to have their name and photo in the header for the month.

The preference is that the person selected shows some, preferably a lot, of in process photos. Not just the finished project. We want to see the steps you took to get to the finished project. We want to see what didn't work and what did. This is how learning happens....otherwise it's just appears to be 'magic'.

If you look at the Hall of Fame winners, you'll see all sorts of people and projects who have won. Not just professionals but all different skill levels.

So the next time you're working in the shop, take your camera and take a photo every once in a while
Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Everyone here needs to understand what we look for when we decide who will be the next shaper of the month. Read the previous message but remember, it's the process that is most important. Document the process and show what you learned.

Look back through the Hall of Fame and you'll see lots and lots of folks who are not big names or professional just everyday shapers who took the time to document their project and help other folks learn.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Yes, Kerry. A certain amount of ego is required for this work. Few people have the courage to brag about their failures. Others feel they are revealing a big secret. Because they invented a procedure, they have invested in experiments and they want to be unique and irreplaceable. I understand all the motives. People and most experts must move on. Learn from your own mistakes and the mistakes of other experts. Sharing experience saves time for research. The rest of the time can be spent with family and friends around the world. This place has its great value. Don't miss the opportunity to share experiences. If you show your art to 10 people, maybe only one can repeat the same thing.
I recently spoke with a man who showed me the basics of shaping about 12 years ago. The whole workshop was dedicated to me. I sent him some photos of my work. He was very happy that he gave me a small piece of knowledge and that the 1 hour time his company gave me made some sense.

A photo of the finished work without a procedure is the same feeling as a monkey in a zoo.
The monkey man at the zoo beats his chest and feels strong. In his limited space, he is the master and the best. Sometimes it feels similar to me. I won't say how and that's why I'm the best and I'll take it with me ...... to the grave.