All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Echoing what others have said, I have a old worn out pneumatic tire Clark C500. It does fine on HARD DRY ground even over small inclines and bumps. If there is a dew you can forget it.

When I had Imperial Wheeling Machines, my steel yard was in the grass (weeds) beside the shop. As long as it had not rained in the past week, I had no trouble picking up steel and moving it to the band saw etc. If I got over eager and the ground was damp from dew or rain it would just sit there and spin. My tires are pretty well worn slick which doesn't help.

If the ground is soft, it will sink and I've gotten it stuck a few times. Not a lot of fun but all but once I easily pulled it out with a small tractor (14 HP). Once it was buried to the frame and I had to lift it up by rocking the mast back and placing staging under the base, rocking it forward to lift the forklift a bit, putting wood under the tires, repeat until it was out of the hole. I then just put some old plywood under it and drove it out.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM

I have found that there is one thing that will bury my big forklift and it is worse than getting stuck. NEVER turn the steer wheels unless the lift is moving. Sitting in one spot and turning the steer wheels breaks the surface tension of the ground and down she goes. The lift is now sitting on that huge counterweight (my Clark will lift 11,000 pounds so the counterweight is hefty to say the least) and the steering linkage is now locked. Now a jack and a special jack fixture that I made is put into play. Now, stuck and sitting on the counterweight mixed with some moisture with a clay-based soil makes for a really long and less than entertaining day. Eight hours on one occasion.
Yep, Kerry is right, moisture and forklifts don't play well together.
My big Clark is a dually. I have to jack that beast up and remove the outer wheels to air up the tires. FUN! That was yesterday's project.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 06-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM

This is what happened when they were building my shop in the wet.

PB090231.jpg

PB080222.jpg
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

You have to wait for the winter and move when the ground is hard. If the snow is frozen, it goes like a sleigh ride ...
Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 AM

Great advice guys
Im leaning towards using a forklift on timber sleepers/swamp mat.
I can get Oregon timber sleepers 8.5 inch X 3 inch thick, hardwood is too expensive but ideal.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Swamp adjustment.

Swamp adjustment. Do you want to dry the swamp? I have a great idea.
In the distant past, this idea was used by engineers to adjust the cheap land that was swamp. Today, there are several factories and a large airport on these lands.
The owner gave his engineers the task of solidifying the land - to dry the swamp.
The swamp can be very well dried with water. As? What kind of crap is that? It's not stupid it's a simple and brilliant solution.
They started to draw water from the swamp to the nearby hill. The water from the hill washed away dirt and stones. All the material flowed back into the swamp. The weight of the material displaced water that was less and less.

A canal is excavated around the site to regulate the surrounding water. The land is still dry and perfectly reinforced. It was 100 years ago. The land was raised by 4m across the area. If you have a garden hose, you can try.

I like smart thoughts.

http://www.zlin.estranky.cz/clanky/b...e---batov.html

Old 06-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Bart: I am still thinking about your logistics problem. How wide and how tall is the opening to your backyard shop? The dimensions that you gave for the length of the machine is like 11-12 feet to us yanks. Do you have to turn the machine to get it in the door? Also consider the height of the opening and that the boom on the forklift needs to clear with it raised to lift the machine.
Now if you have a door like I have that is 16'x16' you can just drive it in.
Also, is the forklift yours and will it need to reside in the shop anyway?

www.tuckpuck.com
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM

I'm back again. Can you get your hands on a couple of pallet jacks? You really need one anyway for moving stuff around your shop.
With a pair of pallet jacks, you might be able to get away with laying plywood down since you wouldn't have to support the weight of a forklift in addition to the weight of the machine. You can start the move and still be able to retrieve it if the plywood begins to yield. Then you can double up on the plywood if needed.

www.tuckpuck.com
Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM

I know you want to help in good faith. You have a good idea, but a pallet truck in uncertain terrain is the worst you can use. I've seen many destroyed machines from unprofessional manipulation.

If somewhere get a transport bogies, or a sheet as I already advised. With a few boards he moves the locomotive. If I put something in the low door, I carry with the crane machine. I push the machine into the door, put the first 2 bogies behind the door and place the machine on the bogies. Then I only hang the machine on one side and move it in. I'll use the chassis to put the machine in place.

You need fabric slings and chassis and boards. If the terrain is really soft, then plank the boards across other boards or plywood. If you cross part of the route, transfer the planks forward and continue. I don't see a problem. Nothing to weigh, no drama. I slide with the winch or iron rod. Just don't worry.

DSC001501.jpg

DSC001671.jpg

DSC001691.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

Last edited by Jaroslav; 06-05-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys you're awesome!