All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Heat shrinking

Hello all, I am shaping a small panel that has a flange, the panel is distorted and I believe the flange needs to be shrunk. I don't want to mark up the flange, so I thought I would use a propane torch and an infra red temp. gun. My question is what is the lowest temperature that you can use and still get shrinking action.
Thanx,
Tom
Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom walker View Post
Hello all, I am shaping a small panel that has a flange, the panel is distorted and I believe the flange needs to be shrunk. I don't want to mark up the flange, so I thought I would use a propane torch and an infra red temp. gun. My question is what is the lowest temperature that you can use and still get shrinking action.
Thanx,
Tom

I'd say that you ignore the gun and apply the warm with your air-propain flame until the metal is blue/purple - about the minimum heat for this, assuming your metal is steel.
When hot then pat down with flat face on flat dolly/back up bar - hard wood is fine.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 PM

Kent, thanx for the response, I was just trying to do the least amount of trauma to this panel and exercise the maximun control. My first attempt, I use a heat gun and turned the flange a medium brown color. It was too slow and uneven, my next attempt I used a shrinking disc, the flange heated up to a blue color (500+ degrees?), the flange shrunk and most of the distortion was removed from the panel.
IMG_20180903_120841.jpg

IMG_20180903_121003.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 09-04-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom walker View Post
Kent, thanx for the response, I was just trying to do the least amount of trauma to this panel and exercise the maximun control. My first attempt, I use a heat gun and turned the flange a medium brown color. It was too slow and uneven, my next attempt I used a shrinking disc, the flange heated up to a blue color (500+ degrees?), the flange shrunk and most of the distortion was removed from the panel.
Attachment 48667

Attachment 48668

Hi Tom,
Lowest heat for shrinking sheet of thickness <.063, that I have successfully tested for, is no color but when the sheet has swelled to its max.
You can see the various heat colors -I hope - in this chart, below. The purp-blue is one of my favorite low-temp colors, for hot shrinks on mild steel. (Helps a lot of your color-perception is good ... )

Low temp color chart.pdf
Hope this shows up ...

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 09-05-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 AM

Shows up fine, thanks.