All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-16-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Clint Caliper

I finally made a "Clint Caliper". I used it the first time to make a cardboard pattern (but not for metal shaping )
Thanks for the idea Clint Button.

adj. caliper.JPG
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Well Jim, you made me smile with that one...

For the record, my cousin Andy Hebert taught me using his calipers which he made after seeing a postcard/photo of Master Sculptor Alcide Fantoni using calipers like these. Fantoni also carved in Barre VT. When I approached him about learning approx 10 yrs before I started carving, Fantoni said "Get the hell out of here. Quit wasting my time. You're too old to ever be any good. I've got nothing to do with you!"

Fantoni retired about 2 months before I started and went back to Italy. The spot I got in studio was vacated by another sculptor who moved across town to take Fantoni's spot at Rock of Ages. Both of them are dead now. Andy and I are still cutting.

Once you use calipers or compasses, especially bigger ones, other ways of measuring can seem cumbersome. The profile of these is especially useful compared to typical forms. I'll have to take and post some more pics, including one of that postcard hanging on the wall here in the office.

For what it's worth, the wing nut wrench that I use for these calipers is all mine....

Edit- here's images of my calipers and compasses-

Master Sculptor Alcide Fantoni at Rock of Ages, old postcard probably from the early/mid 1990's, showing his beam calipers and Italian compasses on the granite stock for statue he is carving. Head points can be seen on the side near his legs.

traditional Italian Compasses/calipers used for sculpture work, along with top profile patterns used in granite memorial work. These compasses are nice but have an increasingly limited depth of reach while being opened to full width. Protruding detail will hit the arm and point cannot reach surface to capture measurement. Once you go past approx 2/3 open, usefulness is greatly diminished. The arms on the largest ones tend to flex so are not very trustworthy to use. the top two largest ones are romance, not tools that earn money. Arms are all wrong in cross section. They came in via a couple of buyouts. the odd machinist tools get used some. The bottom 7 tools are the best sizes and get the most use.

One rack of my beam calipers as used for stone work. Nice rack configuration that can be attached to a tool chest, wall or other surface.

There are two styles of wooden beams in this set. This helps keep captured measurements from being confused, misused and/or misapplied. the metal pointers are made from worn carpenter squares that have been retired (rounded corners, edges no longer straight). Each arm is cut diagonally then tip is curved as desired. A carriage bolt, washer and wing nut secures the metal tip. These are easily adapted for different work, including reversing and interchanging the metal tips and joining more than one wooden beam together to capture large measurements without making new tools. Much greater capacity to reach depth and around detail as well, compared to traditional Italian design.

These tools work very well for 2D and 3D measurement manipulation without any numeric mathematical work.

Last edited by cliffrod; 05-17-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding photos, correcting text