All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Rings on your fingers

I've always worked with my hands whenever I could. When I wasn't making a living, I was wrenching, welding, or hammering on something. My hands took a beating and my wedding ring really took it hard. You're not supposed to wear rings around machinery but I did anyway. I was always getting welding splatter on it and dinging it up. About 10 years ago, I nearly lost a finger when my ring got against a battery terminal and ground. Arced through my finger to the bone and knocked me down and nearly out. I quit wearing a ring after that and it bothered me. I'd see folks looking at my hand knew they were wondering why I didn't wear a wedding ring.

Last month that changed that when I discovered Qalo. They sell silicone rings in a variety of colors for only $20. Now I can give my wife the respect she deserves and keep my fingers. If it gets caught in something it will tear away without taking my finger with it. If I short it against something it won't conduct electricity. Nothing sticks to it.

http://qalo.com/collections/all/products/mens-quality-ring
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM

What a good idea. I've gone through periods of not wearing my wedding ring due to the same problems. Mine has been repaired many times and is always in rough shape. I've gotten it hung many times and wished it wasn't on then, but always tried to wear it also.

This sounds like a possible solution.

Thanks for posting this.

Dave
Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 PM

I have never worn jewelry and my wife understands that I have no interest in wearing a ring. I don't even own a wedding ring. She's fine with it but there has been no change since day one. I can find any number of other ways to injure myself......
Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

If I suddenly turned up with a wedding ring after so many years in the shop refusing to wear any kind of jewellery for safety reasons my wife would think something was wrong. Think I'll stay as I am, thank you.

Will

William Pointer
Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 AM

I feel your pain Kerry. A couple years ago I burned my finger pretty bad when a big welding glob stuck to my ring. As I'm sure you know gold is a wonderful conductor of heat and it transferred all the heat to my finger. Now I'll take it off when I work but the silicone sounds like a better alternative.

Kyle
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 AM

I dont wear mine to work at all, seen too many other people get some serious injuries from rings and chains. Worst i saw when i was an apprentice, the workshop manager was welding under a vehicle( it was a dirty area) and a big blob of weld fell and landed on a thick gold chain he was wearing, it fused to the chain and was burining his neck as he couldnt get it undone. Eventually the weld was hot enough to soften the chain enough that he could just tear the links apart. Left some nasty burns on his neck and hands.
My wife is also understanding of this and i do wear my wedding ring when we go out.

Assumption is the Mother of all Sutff ups.

Resto Rod Race.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 PM

I haven't worn a ring, watch or any other jewelry in the shop, for over 30 years. Too many ways to get damaged by that stuff. The wife has always understood about it and never complains. My wedding ring stays in a protected place and only gets put on for special occasions.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Watched a supposed professional bodyman wear a ring and he was buffing and finishing a vehicle. Run his hands all over it, you could hear that ring tap tap tap off the panels, all the time wondering where these weird looking scuffs come from.

In an industry of working with my hands, no jewelry at all. But then again, I have no reason to, I am not married, and don't know what its like to even want to wear a ring. I may be missing out on something here

Marty
Old 05-30-2015, 10:44 PM

I just got rid of the wife. Problem solved.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 PM

Haven't wore a ring since right out of high school (50 years ago) when I almost lost a finger jumping down from a truck and the ring got caught. Wife understands.