All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
James I would really like to help you out on this one, but unfortunally we are too far away ....... and over the NET it's hard to know the real problem.... or to show you how to fix it
Peter
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really enjoyed you videos. Really impressive craftsmanship.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really enjoyed you videos. Really impressive craftsmanship.
Thank you for the kind words James, if you have any problems in the future do not hesitate to ask I will do what ever I can to help
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM

At this point I am getting some flexing/oil canning in the area of the red circle when I push on the X. The circles are shallow low spots, the large one in the front being deeper. I am thinking I need to raise the low areas through stretching. I am just not sure how I can do it without the oil canning returning to the large low. Somehow I need to do it evenly or even out the thickness of the metal in that are.. The line is where the brace is.

Any ideas are helpful. Not really worried about making it worse

door panel.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 07-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
At this point I am getting some flexing/oil canning in the area of the red circle when I push on the X. The circles are shallow low spots, the large one in the front being deeper. I am thinking I need to raise the low areas through stretching. I am just not sure how I can do it without the oil canning returning to the large low. Somehow I need to do it evenly or even out the thickness of the metal in that are.. The line is where the brace is.

Any ideas are helpful. Not really worried about making it worse

Attachment 48135
James..............
If you are close use a slapper with teeth and bring up the shallow areas, but be very even with your blows (almost one on top of the other) use the right shape dolly and your blows must be soft (do not hit the skin hard) that will tighten the skin
Peter
PS do not use a hammer for this exercise

www.handbuilt.net.au

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 07-19-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
James..............
If you are close use a slapper with teeth and bring up the shallow areas, but be very even with your blows (almost one on top of the other) use the right shape dolly and your blows must be soft (do not hit the skin hard) that will tighten the skin
Peter
PS do not use a hammer for this exercise
Thank you!

Actually, that's what I started doing. I don't have a slapper with teeth, it's more like a small spoon. I have been working up the large shallow area slowly from all around the edges of it toward the centre with lots of sort of glancing blows which scuff the metal and make it shiny where it comes up. Someone with more experience could have probably got it closer with a hammer but this is working for me. The oil can seems to be moving toward the centre and is an obvious excess of trapped metal that I can roll around.

It's sort of like ...magic watching it come up. I realize that I have been overdoing my shrinking and stretching before.

Thanks again
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 AM

[Quote]

It's sort of like ...magic watching it come up. I realize that I have been overdoing my shrinking and stretching before.

It's all part of learning
Peter

www.handbuilt.net.au

Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Ok, I feel like I am getting somewhere. The panel looks like it is very close to contour. Much closer than I thought I could get it I had really flattened it out a lot before. I am still getting some oil canning but nothing like before. It is definitely an excess of metal. This is normally when I would shrink the shit out it and start the madness all over again, but I have found that I can move it by tapping at it off dolly. I am going to try to move it toward the front of the door and lose it where the door skin has more support. I got a shrinking disc today but I'm going to try the way I described first. Shrinking is what got me in trouble in the first place...
Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 PM

I was a little too optimistic about my progress. It really seemed like I was getting a feel for this but ended up getting close but quite can’t get rid of the oil canning. I did end up trying out the shrinking disc. It tightens up the metal but tends to flatten out the crown. I tried to raise the panel up gradually and evenly but still end up with the oil can. I considered taking it to a body shop but it seems they would just put in a brace with panel adhesive, which I may end up doing myself. I don’t know what else I could ask. I appreciate all the good advice and realize this is an almost impossible thing to teach on the internet. It really is a hands on kind of thing. I did learn a lot trying.

Thanks again
Old 07-24-2018, 04:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I try and shrink an oil can on the side it sinks too with my 5" shrinking disc. You might even have to change sides as the oil can does during the process.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 PM

I think the problem comes down to the square patch I welded to repair one of the holes. It creates a low spot that I can't move or stretch enough to keep it within the contour of the rest of the panel. That patch seems to be the trigger point where the panel yields and creates the oil can. I can reduce the oil can quite a bit, but never get rid of it entirely. I have tried stretching the patch, bumping it out , pulling it out with a stud gun and stretching the weld points with a pick hammer on dolly, work the metal up around it.

There's a great thread somewhere on making patches with a radius cut on the corners and an explanation of what happens when you weld in a square patch. Unless you are patching a shipping container or dumpster...just don't.

I bet there are numerous threads about why you should not weld a patch in the dead centre of a low crowned panel.

Live and learn, but I'm at a dead end with this door.