All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 AM
orwell84 orwell84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
James I would really like to help you out on this one, but unfortunally we are too far away ....... and over the NET it's hard to know the real problem.... or to show you how to fix it
Peter
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really enjoyed you videos. Really impressive craftsmanship.
__________________
James
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Peter Tommasini Peter Tommasini is offline
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Posts: 7,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really enjoyed you videos. Really impressive craftsmanship.
Thank you for the kind words James, if you have any problems in the future do not hesitate to ask I will do what ever I can to help
Peter
__________________
P.Tommasini

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM
orwell84 orwell84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 9
Default

At this point I am getting some flexing/oil canning in the area of the red circle when I push on the X. The circles are shallow low spots, the large one in the front being deeper. I am thinking I need to raise the low areas through stretching. I am just not sure how I can do it without the oil canning returning to the large low. Somehow I need to do it evenly or even out the thickness of the metal in that are.. The line is where the brace is.

Any ideas are helpful. Not really worried about making it worse

door panel.jpg
__________________
James

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 07-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Peter Tommasini Peter Tommasini is offline
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Posts: 7,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
At this point I am getting some flexing/oil canning in the area of the red circle when I push on the X. The circles are shallow low spots, the large one in the front being deeper. I am thinking I need to raise the low areas through stretching. I am just not sure how I can do it without the oil canning returning to the large low. Somehow I need to do it evenly or even out the thickness of the metal in that are.. The line is where the brace is.

Any ideas are helpful. Not really worried about making it worse

Attachment 48135
James..............
If you are close use a slapper with teeth and bring up the shallow areas, but be very even with your blows (almost one on top of the other) use the right shape dolly and your blows must be soft (do not hit the skin hard) that will tighten the skin
Peter
PS do not use a hammer for this exercise
__________________
P.Tommasini

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 07-19-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2018, 07:23 PM
orwell84 orwell84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
James..............
If you are close use a slapper with teeth and bring up the shallow areas, but be very even with your blows (almost one on top of the other) use the right shape dolly and your blows must be soft (do not hit the skin hard) that will tighten the skin
Peter
PS do not use a hammer for this exercise
Thank you!

Actually, that's what I started doing. I don't have a slapper with teeth, it's more like a small spoon. I have been working up the large shallow area slowly from all around the edges of it toward the centre with lots of sort of glancing blows which scuff the metal and make it shiny where it comes up. Someone with more experience could have probably got it closer with a hammer but this is working for me. The oil can seems to be moving toward the centre and is an obvious excess of trapped metal that I can roll around.

It's sort of like ...magic watching it come up. I realize that I have been overdoing my shrinking and stretching before.

Thanks again
__________________
James
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.