All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-13-2015, 03:39 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Default Updated list for the Maryland class

Class is full!

Kyle Cusic
Scott Burnett
Dave Havlir
Rick Hemlick (Gator)
Joe Mato
Howard Wentworth
Jeff Hain-Matson
Charlie Cerutti

Standby list:

Dan Norton
Sean OHarra

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel

Last edited by MP&C; 08-13-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Just a reminder that there are only two spots left for the Rock Hill event.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM

For the Rock Hill class, I have added another attendee:

Now there are seven. Only one spot remains available.

Attendees:
Logan Douglass
Eric Moore
Teddy Hefner
David Boles
Jimmy Matthews
Scott White
Bob Baisden
Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

The Colorado class is still wide open. 8 spots available.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM

For the Rock Hill class, I have added another attendee:

Now the class is full with eight, with one on the waiting list

Attendees:
Logan Douglass
Eric Moore
Teddy Hefner
David Boles
Jimmy Matthews
Scott White
Bob Baisden
Roy Eppes

Waiting List:
David Bolding
Old 09-03-2015, 07:08 AM

Here is an update for those guys attending the rock Hill, S.C. class.

My shop is not huge, but you are welcome to bring a small project if you like. I have plenty of things to work on if you don't have a project of your own.

Day 1 -will include understanding shapes , paper patterns and profiles as well as proper learning of hand shrinking with a stump and various types of tucking forks. I have recently made a number of stumps for the class and am going to share building technics that were learned. In addition one of the attendees is willing to give a stump to anyone who attends the class that wants one.

Day 2 - will be most helpful in getting your head around those single and double reverse curves . Of course all these days will be ,in Peters fashion , interlinked with projects that each have brought. Use of the planishing hammer will most likely be covered this day. I have made wood forming bucks for the inside corners of the rear Model a fenders that will be made available.

Day 3 - will get more involved with the understanding of the wheeling machine and anvil choices as well as correct pressures for correct shaping and washing of the panel for smooth and blended finishes. Peter also has a distinct way of actually shrinking with an English wheel that he will share with us.

Day 4 - will be understanding hand swaging and other advanced techniques as well as hand crafting home made tools, and hopefully some gas steel and aluminum welding instructions.

Coffee will be available in the morning as well as lunch will be provided . There will be ample amounts of refreshments. I have a small supply of sheet steel in 18, 19 and 20gauge in cold roll steel and 1/16" aluminum, so just bring a project or get involved with ones that were brought by others . I have quite a few wooden egg crate bucks and interesting Model A fender projects available to work on as well .

Starting time is 8:00 am and run till 5:00 pm as well as anyone that wishes to stay later and work is more than welcome to . Also anyone coming from a distance that want to take advantage of on grounds camping or electrical hookups, I think I can accommodate you.

As of last night , I believe there to be an opening or possibly two in the Nashville, Minnesota and the Denver classes. PM me for info or look at the first post for more info.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Updated list for Maryland class, two weeks to go!

Kyle Cusic
Scott Burnett
Dave Havlir
Dan Norton
Joe Mato
Howard Wentworth
Jeff Hain-Matson
Charlie Cerutti

Standby list:

Sean OHarra
Rob Towers

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Class update

For those that will be attending the Peter Tommasini class here in Rock Hill please take note.

I have just finished looking at the first six of nine metal shaping videos from Peter and they are VERY informative. He displays a wide range of approaches and solutions to many real life projects, so bring a list of questions that you may have, as I assure you that they can be answered in a professional manner. Also bring a handful of whatever metal shaping tools that you may have, as I want to ask Peter to evaluate what we all currently have and make suggestions regarding their modification and use. Peter has a GREAT selection of tools available on his site: http://www.handbuilt.net.au/ , and you can take a look at the tools that he sells and decide what you might already own that is similar and ask his opinion about what tools might best suit your needs. I also want to ask Peter to show us how to make some simple home built tools that I have seen on his videos.

If you have a small project, bring it along, and if it fits Peters schedule I imagine that he will be happy to give suggestions and instructions. I am excited for the upcoming class and meeting old and new friends. I will also try to get Peter to give any advice on gas welding both aluminum and steel. After looking at his videos, I am even more impressed with gas welding them both.

Be sure to bring your own safety items like ear plugs, safety glasses, gloves, and I would suggest a notepad and a pen. I have a moderate supply of .060" 3003 aluminum and 19 gauge steel as well as a few sheets of 18 & 20 gauge steel, that I am happy to share.