All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Default Newbie From Houston

I stumbled across the HAMB a few years ago when I was building my '37 chevy pickup. That message board caused me to find metalmeet and recently this website.

I just got done building a reciprocating hammer - here is link to that thread: http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13213

I'm still tweaking the dies, but might just break down and buy a set. In the next few weeks I plan to make some beading and planishing dies for it. So far it works well.

The next thing that i build will be an english wheel and I will document that build on here.

-Drew
Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM

Welcome on board Drew Read the build on your hammer earlier today , nice looking machine , i'm sort of collecting ideas to build one myself liked the way you made your top mechanisam. We love lots of pics here hope you can get/give help and advice here.
is a link to a pic of my ewheel,it's a top adjuster but runs on dovetails and the hand wheel stays put , doesn't move up or down , needs a mill to make but you have a bp and lathe , if you would like more info on the idea let me know.Once again welcome and i hope that you will help this site to grow.
Cheers Chris
Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Chris - Thanks for the info. I have not thought much about how to make the top mechanism yet for my english wheel. Your dovetail slide looks like a pretty robust design.

I'm in the process of creating drawings for all the parts of my hammer and will post them when I get them finished. I spent a lot of time thinking about the top slide on my hammer because that is the most critical part of the entire assembly.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Look forward to seeing the drawings Drew , hopefully they might help me to make my mind up about how to build my next machine , I started out thinking just a shrinking job but am starting to think that i might want to do a bit more than just shrink with it.
Cheers Chris
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Welcome Drew.

One thing about top adjusters is that you rarely turn more than a revolution or two so, to me, the handwheel moving up or down 1/8" is a non issue.

Chris did a beautiful job on his machine....looks vaguely familiar...
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Yeah I kind of nicked your design Kerry THANKYOU for letting people do that . Moving 1/8" is fine till you have to move 1" or more to get a job in or out plus there ain't that much space in a residencial area here in blighty my garage ceiling is only 8 foot , i'm 6foot 2 without boot's on don't leave much headroom . Shouldn't complian thought my work workshop has a 20 foot ceiling got a big Edwards wheel there came from a factory that made spitfire planes in the war but needs alot of tlc never seem to get the time to sort it out
Cheers Chris