All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Default I got a new job!!

So I am pretty excited, I just finished a working interview for a local restoration shop... and I did really well! I have to thank Tony Sanchez for all his time helping me out at his shop, I couldn't have done it without his tutellage!

I will be doing sheet metal fabrication and repair for Jenkinson's Concours & Custom. My new boss is really cool, working around my existing work schedule for the next couple of months, so that we can make sure that we will be a good fit for each other.

When the shop does the full restorations, it is all hammer and dolly work, working for a true metal finish, with no body fillers. Everything is gas welded like it would have been back when the cars were constructed, and lead only used where the original craftsmen would have used it.

Being part time, and still relatively new to all this, I still have some learning to do, and some more tools to buy! If any one knows a good place to get some body files, and some lead paddles let me know! I will also be looking for some more info on gas welding as I am still very green with that style of welding. And yes my new boss knows this, we both have the understanding that I will be learning all of this.

This fender was my working interview, it had two small dents on the back side that had to be finished out ready for paint, and on the front leading edge, it was folded under like it had hit a curb or something. There was also a large crease next to the spare tire pocket that had to be smoothed out.

I didnt take a start picture, but I did take a couple when when I stopped after a few hours, when my new boss said he was happy with my performance.

This was just a scrap fender he had laying around that wasnt getting used for anything, which was why I did not take all the paint off.

Here are a couple of pics of some of the restoration projects, aw well as some of the cars that were just in for some repair or another.

I will be starting in a couple weeks, and if I understood him right my first working project will be this truck.

He said it needed some floor repairs, and since it was full of parts, I didnt look to see it it just needed some patches, or full floorboards. He did say that even the floorboards required a full metal finish just like any other exterior body panel. If anyone wants to give me any tips or tricks I will be more than greatfull!

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 AM
MetalShaper of the month 06-12, 02-14

Congratulations Mike,
You should have a go at making your own lead whipping paddles, they will have more soul that way, you could use any hardwood and smooth them out. I made all mine from white ash, cutting a few different shapes, I just leave them soak in a tin of oil, ready to use when I need to do some lead work.

www.kustomgarage.com.au
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

Congrats!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Default Congrats

I get my body files from Kent White at www.tinmantech.com. You'll also find gas welding books there.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Hey Mike.

Glad to hear about the job. I am sure you will do fine. Only in Cali will you see a shop that full of old cars I guess. Havn't seen anything like it in Atl. I guess your still looking for that steering column. I'll stay on the hunt too. Congrats on the Job.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Mike, I’m happy for you that you have landed a job where you can continue your passion for metal work, if your new boss is a reasonable & helpful person it will not seem like work, just more perfecting of your skill set. I’m somewhat jealous of your youthful enthusiasm, sadly I have lost a good portion of mine somewhere along the road of life. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM

Happy days Mike! Hopefully you'll be able to get by with the pay while you advance your skills. Please keep us newbies posted on your progress in the real world of metal restoration for money Best of luck!

415-250-4851
kloomis@me.com
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month November 2021

Congrats! Keep us posted with pictures.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate it! I don't start for a couple weeks, and I will be sure to post updates as I can. And ya some of the cars that go through there are worth quite a pretty penny, especially the green Aston Martin.

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM

Congratulations Mike! Hope all turns out well for you in the new job and you can become the expert that we all want to be.