All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Looking good Will. Must be nice to be on the home stretch.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's terrific Will. Can't wait to see this car.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-14-2018, 03:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Got most of the radio and electrical done on the Humvee and just decided to start back on the speedster. I took out the earlier style gaskets and removed the intake runners. I acquired an old block and used it to mount the intake runners and the balance tube after machining the ends of it to fit the intake runners. This gave me much more access to do the welding. The balance tube is 1-1/4" and the intake runners are each 1-1/2" in diameter. When the welding was completed I bought two sets of the late '31 style exhaust gaskets and used one on the exhaust manifold and them cut another pair to fit the intake runners. This gasket style is copper lined 'asbestos' and tends to be more forgiving in the event of a poor fit. I did not see any evidence of imperfection on either the intake runners or the exhaust flanges but this seemed to be a good idea anyway. I have suspected that I may have had an intake leak instead of the actual need for the balance tube. At any rate once we put the match to it, it lit up right away and did not have that stumble that I have had since I first assembled this combination. It will now rev up quite nicely, but does better with the timing retarded, so I may to set the timing back some amount to get the lower idle normally associated with the Model A. Special thanks to Bob Kolenda, Paul Crosby and Bill Stypes for their input and encouragement.

Name:  PreStorm 002.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  PreStorm 006.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  66.0 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-14-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Got most of the radio and electrical done on the Humvee and just decided to start back on the speedster. I took out the earlier style gaskets and removed the intake runners. I acquired an old block and used it to mount the intake runners and the balance tube after machining the ends of it to fit the intake runners. This gave me much more access to do the welding. The balance tube is 1-1/4" and the intake runners are each 1-1/2" in diameter. When the welding was completed I bought two sets of the late '31 style exhaust gaskets and used one on the exhaust manifold and them cut another pair to fit the intake runners. This gasket style is copper lined 'asbestos' and tends to be more forgiving in the event of a poor fit. I did not see any evidence of imperfection on either the intake runners or the exhaust flanges but this seemed to be a good idea anyway. I have suspected that I may have had an intake leak instead of the actual need for the balance tube. At any rate once we put the match to it, it lit up right away and did not have that stumble that I have had since I first assembled this combination. It will now rev up quite nicely, but does better with the timing retarded, so I may to set the timing back some amount to get the lower idle normally associated with the Model A. Special thanks to Bob Kolenda, Paul Crosby and Bill Stypes for their input and encouragement.

Attachment 48749

Attachment 48750

Sweet results.
Heard of a factory 327Chev having two intake gaskets on one side, but never heard of two on both sides....
Some squishy gaskets work real good ....

Sorely missing the chat, the grits, the sauce and the cacklebury's ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 PM

No worries it WILL happen sooner or later.
The one gasket goes the entire length of the exhaust header flange.

The intake runners were mounted separately in the original configuration, and had the tubing extend into the inner flange side of the exhaust flange.

Because the intake and the exhaust share their mounting bolt pattern, I just cut a set of exhaust gaskets to fit just around the intake runner flanges.

Wind blowing pretty hard already. We are in the middle of the current path projection and expecting 14-18" of rain.

We have been working hard for three days and just an hour ago decided enough was enough. Time to go get a book and some candles.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Good to hear that you're sorting out the aggravating little issues, Will. It was clear that you were not happy during the RR. My uncle mentioned the Model A again the other day, before all the hurricane talk started.

You and Peggy (and Jimmy, too) will be in our thoughts and prayers during the next few days. Take care.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Glad the stumble has been sorted.

Hope you survive the deluge and winds alright.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Very Nice

Very nice and period too. Super job.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM

Getting very close. I have been procrastinating about trying to fix the corners of the grill insert that Had gotten 'metal finished' to between .020" and .035" from the original .060". When Kent heard be 'complaining'. he asked me to wait until he got here for the class and that he would help. It was impressive to me that he first ran a bead around the thinnest area with that Meco torch of his and then proceeded to thicken up the entirety of the four corners. Thanks Kent! Well done, and I appreciate it! I test fit the entire nose section to the body and the grill insert and all was still well, so began to metal finish the rest of the nose section and to polish those areas that are the leading areas of the side and top 'stripes'. Touched up the radiator, where I had let it run over when testing the balance tub installation. Cleaned up a few areas on the cowl section and polished the area around the water neck. The bird on the radiator cap has special meaning to me. Scott White, the gentleman that did th scanning on Jim Hery's Buggatti project drew this bird in 3D, had it laser printed and had this cast from that. Thanks Scott White!

Name:  KentClassMon 002.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  KentClassMon 044.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  KentClassMon 048.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  MiscWC 021.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  MiscWC 023.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  MiscWC 026.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  MiscWC 027.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  MiscWC 028.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  MiscWC 030.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  70.4 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 12-03-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Very nice Will....have you had it out on the interstate yet?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154