All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-28-2020, 10:16 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Impressive as always, but doing such things is not something to which I look forward to do....
Old 08-02-2020, 05:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Thanks for all still keeping interested through these less exciting times of a build.

Committed to cutting out the extra length of the loom! In for a penny, in for a pound. The left over coils of wires are the airbag sensors and curtain airbags.

I also ran the loom on the other side of the tunnel to keep some separation just in case it affects the EMI. Now to tidy up all the airbag sensor wiring.

Did some research and the airbag module looks for a resistance to see if the airbags are plugged in or not. This won't stop the Jeep from running, just set off the dash light and a DTC (Data Trouble Code). I need to measure the resistance of the different types of airbags it has in case there is a difference between them. Steering, passenger dash, and two curtain airbags. Later models you need to measure the seat belt pretensioners as well.

I have dual stage bags so have to measure both ports. There is a shorting bar that connects both pins as soon as you unplug it. So you have to isolate the bar to get the correct resistance reading. I'm just using the end of a nylon zip tie. You can just make out the copper bar at the bottom of the yellow port. Spring loaded fingers is what they are like.

I must admit I was a bit nervous putting the meter probes on the pins having heard rumours of any electrical current setting them off. But saw an airbag company video doing their testing this way so felt better about doing it. This is where I learnt how to check them as well. Both stages showed 2.1 Ohms resistance.

The passenger bag even had the plug with the same shorting bar. So did the same trick for both stages. 2.1 Ohms as did the curtain airbags.

So I shortened all the coils of wire for the sensors and curtain airbags. I bolted the sensors together. I also measured the resistance of the length of wire I cut out and it came to 0.3 Ohms. So the resistance valve I will use in the end of the shortened curtain airbag loom plugs will be 2.4 ohms. I did learn that they have a tolerance of 0.3 Ohms up or down to account for wire length and contact differences etc. I'd rather add the higher value to get it as close as possible to start with. Time will tell as I don't have them yet to try.

I have tucked the sensors under the other loom and on top of the padded isolation, as I don't want them bouncing around.

Just when you think you have done most of your looms, the headliner has a big one too! Looked a bit much for just the map and courtesy lights, turns out yet another module up there for the cabin temperature and compass receiver. Think there was an optional DVD player there too? Loom is all sorted and now installed in the Willys.

And look what happened. I nervously connected the battery and turned the ignition fob, wireless ignition in these, and the dash lit up. Accidently turned too far and it tried to start as well! No fuel in the tank though. Happy days.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:53 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Good stuff there Marcus. And no, it's not boring at all.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-02-2020, 10:26 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Marcus

Congratulations no fires or bag explosions!

maybe you can get a job now to deactivate bombs.

I find this very interesting, thanks for sharing!

very neatly organized, just like your shop and tools.

Steve
Old 08-03-2020, 05:11 AM

Many thanks guys.
Got to try the wipers and they worked perfectly and parked in the right spot and all!
Not sure on the sweep ratio yet but can adjust that.

Was a huge relief seeing it all light up.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:22 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very cool.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:01 AM

Wiring isn't boring, but it can be disheartening. Nothing like spending 10 or 12 hours running wires, soldering, etc, then you step back and look...

And it all looks the same.

This build is as amazing as anything I've ever seen from the likes of The Roadster Shop, etc. Simply awe inspiring!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Wiring isn't boring, but it can be disheartening. Nothing like spending 10 or 12 hours running wires, soldering, etc, then you step back and look...

And it all looks the same.

This build is as amazing as anything I've ever seen from the likes of The Roadster Shop, etc. Simply awe inspiring!
Very true. I don't mind wiring at all, so long as it all works as it should at the end of it!

Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM

My resistors for the airbags came in. Got 10 packs of three different values in case I need to increase them a bit.

Just folded the legs in half and then they were a good fit for the sockets. Tried to see if the airbags light went out and.......it stayed on. So I plugged in all my actual airbags in and tried them without the resistors and it did the same thing. The seat plugs are also wired into the airbag module to detect, and some models, weigh the occupants. Maybe because they are not installed it is doing it? Will have to wait for another time.

Decided to fit a CJ7 Jeep antenna as the donor one was in the rear quarter glass window. Cut a backing plate for the mount out of some scrap stainless steel.

Plug welded the stainless backing plate in so there wont be any flexing of the cowl once the antenna is installed.

As the cowl is angled, I made a new 3* wedge gasket out of some high density plastic. Just slowly whittled it down on the linisher.

I put it on the drivers side as less likely to get trees striking it that way.

Now the antenna is perfectly vertical from every angle.

I knew the wiper sweep would be too short when I ordered the wiper motor as it came with a 110* drive gear. This is where it stops if started from perfectly inline with the bottom of the screen.

I measured how much the drive rack sticks out in this position. 51mm or 2".

With the rack disconnected from the drive gear I could move it to where I would prefer it to stop. This was a total of 125* of sweep.

Now the rack sticks out 56mm or 2-5/32"

Now you can just go out and buy a 125* drive gear and swap it in as they come in 5* increments from 90*-130* for the 14w motor. https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/14w-wiper-drive-gear/

But to save some money, and a lot of time waiting for a gear to come from the UK to Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic, plus I like to do things myself, I thought I would move the pivot point instead. Now I need a total of 5mm-3/16" of extra movement of the drive rack. So that means only having to move the pivot half of that as you gain movement at each end of the stroke. I thought it was easier to cut a piece of the plate out with the pivot point and reweld it further out. I also moved it to the other side of the plate as it worked out better getting an extra half turn on to my donor wiper motor shaft adaption. No need to do this with a standard 14w motor setup.

Placed some copped plate under it and filled in the gaps with weld.

Cleaned up the welds and took away the excess radius around the pivot point.

All back in place with the extra sweep I wanted.

Just before going into lockdown for the COVID-19, I was able to pickup my rechromed pieces.

I finally got to put in my emblem that I bought 10 years ago! Bought it directly from the maker back then, but now are sold through Willys suppliers. https://www.thejeepsterman.com/produ...station-wagon/

A few more pieces done.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Are you putting any horizontal trim bars on the grill?