All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Default Compressor - air line solution?

A while ago I moved my big compressor outside and plumbed it to run the air from the compressor head through a coiled copper pipe in a 200 litre drum of water with a moisture catch tank (piece of 2" pipe) before the air enters the tank - works fantastically to supply dry air - I barely get any in the tank and none at all in my solid lines.
I am bringing the air out of the head with 3/4" galvanised water pipe before connecting to the copper line. My issue is that the vibration is breaking the line at the threaded end/elbows (cut thread is obviously a stress riser). Clearly running copper straight from the head would lessen weight involved and so I would expect less strain on the whole set-up - would running a compression fitting straight to copper be a better option? Perhaps with the copper coiled in a loop as soon as possible after exiting the head? I was wondering whether the copper would work harden from the vibration and tend to break off too?
Unfortunately the heat involved seems to make any kind of rubber line at that point unworkable - a piece of high pressure hose that I put in last time it broke lasted less than a day.
Any other options that I could look into?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Barry
My compressor was manufactured with copper running from the head then coiled and supported infront of the pulley/fan, then to the tank.

Bought new over 20 years ago used for my Bussiness daily.

Still working fine.

I think flared fittings.

Steve
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Thanks Steve - will look into flared fittings in that size - makes sense.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I'd think a short hydraulic hose with crimped on pipe fittings would hold up. Hydraulic fluid gets very hot.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM

High pressure hydraulic hose is what i have been using. I bought mine through

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraul...se-Assemblies/

very reasonable prices and mine has been holding up for a year now with no signs of damage.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 AM

I ran a flexible braided line from my compressor to my copper distribution line. I picked up the braided line at a compressor distributor. Perhaps you could use something similar?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM

My Quincy compressor came with a flexible metal hook-up hose.
This can take the vibration from the compressor and the rigid line on the walls.
http://www.aircompressorservicekits....etal-Hose.html

Something like this should help.

Dave
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Braided line

I used a braided line similar to Ian's, but I picked it up at Home Depot. They are made for connecting your water heater up. Available in different lengths, and with various pipe thread ends. Cheap and convenient, with plenty of pressure rating.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2012

Thanks for the replies guys. Hooked it back up in the same way just to carry on working. I'll measure the working temp and then check out with hydraulic suppliers. I'll look into the braided type plumbing fittings too if they are rated for the heat - coming straight out the head it gets a LOT hotter than domestic water would.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM

The lines the OP is talking about do not come out of the tank.... they come out of the Head, and are extremely hot. Some High Pressure/high Temp Hydraulic lines may be available, but normally Hydraulic lines don't endure *that* kind of heat, so I believe the best thing to do is put your line from the head, to whatever it's aimed at, using the same material/tubing that it came with from the factory. Normally this is Thick Walled Copper tubing, and it's compression coupled somehow or Flare fitting attached to the head..... sometimes the fittings are copper, and others I have seen Steel or Galvanized steel.....

I left another thought on the other Metal Shaping site on this subject as well, with more suggestions and ideas.

Making Waves, and Curves and Shapes.....