All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Why Buy a Multipurpose Hammer?

Why do people buy expensive multi purpose hammers.... when two cheaper hammers ( a reciprocating and a power hammer ) would be more efficient? I am curious because most of the people I see on IG with Baileigh Hammers have a pullmax, a yoder, etc.... etc... on top of the expensive multipurpose machines. It really does not make sense to me. Not only that..... but to be switching over the dies and linkage to go from one operation to the next seems kinda backwards in logic. The only reason I say this is because I was going to build a machine similar to Baileigh in terms of a multipurpose unit... but then I decided it really does not make sense to do so. I can build two machines, one for each type of motion.... and still be out of pocket maybe 6 grand.

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-15-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I agree with you Peter. In my experience, multipurpose machines of most any type, compromise somewhere for every purpose.

Btw, a Pullmax and similar machines are not hammers, they are reciprocating machines. Hammers have an overstroke and HIT, reciprocating machines have fixed linkages and PUSH. Huge difference in design and function. Not to say that they cannot sometimes do similar work.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 PM

[QUOTE= I can build two machines, one for each type of motion.... and still be out of pocket maybe 6 grand.[/QUOTE]
I like your attitude .
Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks for agreeing Kerry...

I am open to others opinions on the subject matter and whatnot which is why I posted the question. I think Budget machines are the way to go... whether it is a homebuilt, group build, etc.

Success is never easy.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

I agree with you Peter 100%........ nothing is more frustrating than spending time changing things around
But.. what if ...one could change from a wheeling machine to a powerful plenishing hammer in no more than 5 minutes , in another words... one would put all the shape with the hammer to a good finish then... if one prefers to go over with the wheel....Then within 5 minutes change over he has a English wheel
let me know your thoughts...............
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tommasini View Post
I agree with you Peter 100%........ nothing is more frustrating than spending time changing things around
But.. what if ...one could change from a wheeling machine to a powerful plenishing hammer in no more than 5 minutes , in another words... one would put all the shape with the hammer to a good finish then... if one prefers to go over with the wheel....Then within 5 minutes change over he has a English wheel
let me know your thoughts...............
Peter
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying.... but I have had a huge English wheel for over a decade.... so no need to change over.

Success is never easy.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Peter I was not referring to your situation ..I am sure you are set up properly and doing well
I was simply making a statement for other people which do change things around and spend too much time and unnecessary money when really two machine will do almost everything
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM

Last edited by Peter Tommasini; 08-16-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 AM

I understand what you're saying now.... but I still scratch my head on a multipurpose machine that is overpriced. Technology is getting better.... machine prices should be getting cheaper... ( material aside ) and they will get cheaper because homebuilt machines is where it is at... even if a person has to outsource machine work, CNC plasma cutting, etc.

Success is never easy.

Last edited by HappyGoLucky; 08-16-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:46 AM

At a guess, it will mostly be down to what floor space people have available and the perception that one machine can do it all. Yes, they can but there is always some inconvenience to it and I do prefer to be able to go to a machine and do minimal setting. Some folk aren't bothered by it though. It's a bit like having 1 Lancaster body and separate sets of shrinking and stretching jaws then swapping between the two. I can't think of anything worse so bought 2 bodies but some people like the idea that they've saved a few bucks and just got the one! It's horses for courses really but I'm with the OP on this point.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 AM

Default mulit machines

How do you plan on designing these machines? will you be using cad or hand sketches based on ideas in your head or following similar designs others have done. By no means am I a metal shaper but have had the pleasure of using Kerry's Ewheel , and the forum built reciprocating machine and kick shrink machine... The kick shrink machine is as smooth as they come..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Why do people buy expensive multi purpose hammers.... when two cheaper hammers ( a reciprocating and a power hammer ) would be more efficient? I am curious because most of the people I see on IG with Baileigh Hammers have a pullmax, a yoder, etc.... etc... on top of the expensive multipurpose machines. It really does not make sense to me. Not only that..... but to be switching over the dies and linkage to go from one operation to the next seems kinda backwards in logic. The only reason I say this is because I was going to build a machine similar to Baileigh in terms of a multipurpose unit... but then I decided it really does not make sense to do so. I can build two machines, one for each type of motion.... and still be out of pocket maybe 6 grand.