All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Roof dent, ideas needed

So I bought this 49 GMC panel with a big ol' dent in the roof. Thinking to myself maybe you should hire that one out. What do you all think.
I know its not a bodyworking site but this is metalworking.
Thinking I should start with the dent then move to the drip rail ?
It has a window that will someday get welded back up but for now I am thinking access is a good thing.
Hammer and dolly or would there be a better way ?
I'll understand if the picture is not good enough to give an opinion.
Thought I would try. Thanks!

49%20gmc%20061.jpg
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM

More pics ....and one to show its worth fixing IMO

49%20gmc%20001.jpg

49%20gmc%20005.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Yowza! Thats quite a dent. How far across does it go? Personally, I'd be looking for another panel truck, preferably on that isn't worth fixing for other problems, to donate its roof. Yes, you could fix, yes you could make a panel to repair it, but I think the most time and cost effective would be to find another truck to steal the roof off of.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM

Hmm... Seeing the second set of pics that you posted while I was typing my first response, I think I would give repairing it a shot. You would have to fix the damage to the drip rail and below either way. So, I guess I am changing my vote to try to repair it, if you can't get it to your liking, then find a replacement roof.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Repair it the window will help gain access to it and the crown seams fairly high it should work out easy. Please read up on dent removal the key to metal bumping and practice if this is a first go around on metal working it would be easy to make the dent worse. Great looking truck the rest of it seams to be in great shape.

Rex
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

wow That's a good lookin' dent.
It can be repaired, just how much time are yo willing to put into it? You might have to start with a porta power (slowly....ask the metal to move) with a large suface area "head". You might make one out of oak that is close to the right shape. You wouldn't try for the final shape, just get close.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

From there you could start to hammer and dollie and move onto to 'pick' and file.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

As Rex said look for some info here on metal bumping and dent removal.

Essentially what I would do is to turn the lows into highs (pound them up from the inside)and then shrink them into alignment with a shrinking disc. Blocking the area as you go to tell you where it needs to be shrunk or stretched is important to get a good finish and a quality repair. If it's easily accessible, that's a pretty easy fix if you are a patient person.

The driprail is the only thing that will pose a problem but I am willing to bet that it will be less of a problem the more you straighten out the actual dent..... possibly sort of curing itself as you go after the lows and highs in the roof.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Default dent pratice

Look up any local body shop beg borrow or steal panels they have replaced. That dent is repairable but pratice on something else. Look up on this site basic dent repair pratices. Modern shops tend to replace more than they straighten. You can almost always get junk from them.Give it back straight if they want to sell it for scrap.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Look up any local body shop beg borrow or steal panels they have replaced. That dent is repairable but pratice on something else. Look up on this site basic dent repair pratices. Modern shops tend to replace more than they straighten. You can almost always get junk from them.Give it back straight if they want to sell it for scrap.
Good call ! I actually sell Toyota body parts for a living so I have connections. I took a body repair class at the local CC a number of years ago but it didn't help me much. I'll practice on an old Volvo Amazon hood
thats dented but not as bad.
Thanks everybody for ideas and support keep it coming !