All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Charley - I think I remember you saying you didn't or couldn't find a manual for your welder. Perhaps this will help.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o225311c_mil.pdf
Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Spectator

When I start building tools and using some 1/4 wall material can I still use the .030 gas wire and do multi-passes and beveled joints or am I going to have to go to flux core?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Never said 110 welders will not run .030 wire, they are just much happier with .023. The .030 wire leaves very proud welds that I guess are great if you love grinding and buying abrasives. I frequent about a dozen body shops in my area and they all use .023 wire in their 110 migs and they all drag weld, take it for what it’s worth.

The manufacturer charts are know for giving you too cold welds, so much so that they seem worried you might burn a hole in the metal and think their mig is junk. Personally mig welding is so cold I would rather see someone burn an occasional hole because at least I know their getting penetration, but that’s just the way I think. If your going to attempt welding ¼” I would suggest veeing out both sides and welding both sides, again because 110 migs have so little penetration.

I say trade that roll of aluminum wire back for a roll of .023 70-6 wire and I think you & your welder will be happier . If you have a gap you don’t need the larger wire, just learn how to roll your gun’s tip or weave back & forth to fill the gap. The .030 wire has gone the way of 220 migs and lead work in most body shops, i’m not saying they are not used at all, they just aren’t the popular choice anymore. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Davidson View Post
When I start building tools and using some 1/4 wall material can I still use the .030 gas wire and do multi-passes and beveled joints or am I going to have to go to flux core?
You could do either. If all you have is .030 and gas, bevel your stock and run multiple passes. Since your machine is rated at 3/16", shouldn't take more than 2 passes per. If you have a lot to do, you might bump into the duty cycle of the machine, however.

Charley - Go to this link and d/l the Lincoln GMAW manual. It is chock full of just the info you're looking for.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ture/c4200.pdf