All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 AM

I thought about this yesteday. I was giving a bit of metal a hard time with a few new hammers. It was freezing a bit. (-2 degree Celcius) When I was watching closely I felt a breeze of the slapper and accually felt nice to cool down a bit. I forgot my workshop shoes, which not only prevent from sharp stuff piercing my feets. They also keep my feets warm, that's confy. I don't do any machanics on my classic car at this temperature. Every spanner and engine part is cold! I'm standing still a lot of the time when doing mechanics. Standing still means cold, keep hammering!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Too cold.....

Zero degrees F here this morning.....-18 in town......I'm staying by the fire and reading a book.....

Tuck
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Those of us that live in the frozen north need to think about ways of using the cold to our advantage.

1. We can use the snow/ice to carve out design concepts for vehicles or sculpture.

2. We can make very sturdy/solid bucks and hammerforms from Ice.

3. Most have heard of hydroforming of metals, well up here we can move metal with ice. (I've been thinking a lot about the possibilities) Ice will move metal quite well, I'v witnessed it in split open engine blocks and bulging posts and pipes.

4. productivity goes up in the cold temps. I have to work harder to keep warm.

5. The beer consumed on breaks or at the end of the day requires no refrigeration (cost savings!)

All of that said, I have a cold, I'm tired of being cold, I think I'll stay in the house.

Honestly, if I had a vessel that would survive the pressure of frozen water, I think I could form/press some well detailed panels.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtin View Post
Those of us that live in the frozen north need to think about ways of using the cold to our advantage.

1. We can use the snow/ice to carve out design concepts for vehicles or sculpture.
That's actually an interesting thought, but it might be tough to get the tape patterns to stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtin View Post
Honestly, if I had a vessel that would survive the pressure of frozen water, I think I could form/press some well detailed panels.
I really like the notion of exploiting science to make my life easier, and I can see some interesting possibilities in the sculpture side of things with this idea. Making the die sets would be the hard part, but my freezer would do all the rest!

Hmmmm...you've got me thinking now.....

Ken

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Default How Cold???

You guys are going to think that i am a real piker. I live in the San Francisco bay area and recently installed a pellet stove in my shop.

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/pictu...pictureid=5676

The older i get it seems that i become less and less tolerant to the cold. I have a small 850 sqft shop and it gets down into the mid 50's over night. With the pellet stove i just go out first thing in the morning and hit the run button, go have breakfast and by the time i am done the temp is up to around 60/62. It is wonderful!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Default It is even cold in So. Cal. plus rain

I havent been in my shop for several days because of the cold. I only work at a job one day a week (no not at Walmart) but, it seems like that is always the warmest day each week. But, 68 is warmer than 32. But as you get older it is still cold.
A couple years ago I bought a Little Buddy propane heater and it broke within a week. I should have taken it back but I tried to fix it...mistake. California is very restictive on what types of heaters we can buy (smog stuff) so it is very limited. Fred26T
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM

It has been a bit chilly here in N.Florida as well. It has been below freezing for about 8-10 hours for several mornings with 20 degrees for several hours several days ago. The day that it was 20 outside it was 51 degrees in my well insulated steel building. The flourescent lights don't want to start at that temperature and when they do,they aren't very bright. So visibility is not really good enough for some work. It is probably not the best thing for ballasts either.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Its really cold in my shop, since its just a layer of crushed recycled concrete at this point in time.
I start putting poles in the week after Christmas
Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
It has been a bit chilly here in N.Florida as well. It has been below freezing for about 8-10 hours for several mornings with 20 degrees for several hours several days ago. The day that it was 20 outside it was 51 degrees in my well insulated steel building. The flourescent lights don't want to start at that temperature and when they do,they aren't very bright. So visibility is not really good enough for some work. It is probably not the best thing for ballasts either.
You may not need them in N. FL, but I installed the low temp fluorescent lights and ballasts. They start up even below zero. They sometimes take a couple of minutes to get to full brightness when it's really cold.
Ian
Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM

I'll be in the garage as long as it's above 0 C (freezing), but the way the winters have taken a turn for the worse the last years I really haven't been able to work there at all in winter.

We had three months of continuous sub zero temperatures last winter and so far this one seems even worse. Since my garage has no insulation I'm in the process of converting a room in the basement into a small shop just to get SOME metalwork done...

I really, really, REALLY hate the cold and the snow, but my better half doesn't want to move to California or Spain, so we've compromised on Copenhagen, Denmark... They have snow too, but at any given day they're about 5-10 C / 10-20 F warmer than us, and that helps a little