All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2016, Sept 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
Jack,

While this situation may involve a taper, have you ever used a spacer (similar to the grit in the one brand of adhesive) with rivets?
Marc, I use the screws so I can adjust the pressure pulling the skin down while the adhesive is curing. Once the adhesive is set I can take the screws out and replace them with rivets. If I put the rivets in first they would pull the skin down too tight and bend it over the edge of the square tube.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 07-04-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Before I could start on the 4th and final skin, I needed to mount and adjust the latch pins. Also, when the frame was welded, the rear window framing had flattened out a little and was roughly 1/4 inch in from where the skin will be. I used a rivet gun with a urethane tip to bump the window frame back out to be flush with the skin using a straight edge laid on the upper bow and the lower rear hoop to check progress
While I'm on the subject, in the picture below, there's an air chisel (top) and a rivet gun (below). Very different tools!
The air chisel is a violent, angry ass, hateful weapon. Its only purpose on earth is to smash, pummel, rip, slash, destroy, and annihilate. It is barely controlable and only has two speeds; off and total destruction. It has no useful purpose in any form of metalshaping that I've ever been exposed to. It's faster than Sugar Ray Leonard and hits like Joe Frazier.
Below it is the rivet gun. Its pace is slightly slower and very controlable. It can be tuned with trigger pull and an air pressure regulator. It has a firm hit but not as hard as the air chisel and is a more accurate hand held power hammer.
I would say if you can only buy one of the two, get the rivet gun. It will do pretty much anything the air chisel will do, while the air chisel cannot do the finesse work that a rivet gun can.

Name:  1650.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  54.9 KB

So, once I got the window frame straightened out, I cut out the last skin and started fine tuming. This one is more complex than the other. It needs a perfect fit on the forward and rear edge plus the window opening. Originally, I intended to fold a hem around the window opening but decided against it. When I started to tip a flange around the opening, the aluminum was tearing rather than stretching. I don't want to anneal and risk warping the sheet metal. I will screw and glue, then cut the ends of the screws off inside where the window will sit.
That's as far as I got in 3 days. Next I need to start tuning up the rear edge and make a filler strip to attach the skin to the rear hoop.

Name:  1651.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  1652.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  1653.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  43.3 KB

A view from the cockpit. Like peeking through a mail slot. This shows how severe the chop actually is. The side glass will only be around 12" tall from the belt line to the upper seal along the roof. But from the outside it looks normal... Maybe normal is not the word.

Name:  1654.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  47.3 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 07-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Damn Jack,
The top (for me) makes the entire car. It gives it flight
That whole sense of motion while sitting still.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Ditto what Blue62 said!!!!
Old 07-15-2019, 02:37 AM

Can't wait to see it on the ground. Will you be painting it yourself Jack?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Yes, I need to paint before winter. I won't be able to move the car yet so after the body is finished I'll remove all the bolt on panels and take them to a friend's shop to paint. The rear deck and upper quarters will have to be done here.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Jack, could the word you're searching for be "proportional" rather than "normal"?

Great stuff, great insight, as always!

mjb
Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM

I was thinking along the lines of "insane" but proportional is a better fit. You know you've done a chop right if people are asking you "is that chopped?" I used to get that a lot with my 57 Chevy.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I love it! Have you had it outside so you can take some better photos showing the whole car from various angles?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Pretty soon. I need the car setting on the tires when I start gapping the bolt on panels. There shouldn't be any flex in this frame but I always want the car on the tires when doing the final fitting. Lessons learned from years of working on unibody cars, I guess.