All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Default 18ga. question

hello everyone, Im new here and forgive me but I'll be asking a lot of questions,so here goes.Im making new floor boards for my 50 plymouth buisness coupe and Iwas wondering if there is a specific type of 18 ga. sheetmetal I should use. For the time being I'll be using mostly hand tools with the help of Dave Gardners video. From what Im gathering ,there may be more than one choice as to which is easier to work with. thanks,Ronnie
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Ronnie, hot rolled steel normally has a mill scale on it which is a pita to remove. Cold rolled steel normally has just a bit of oil film on it to protect from flash rust, but no mill scale. The cold rolled IMO would be the better choice.

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2014

Default steel choice

Hi Ronnie,

Cold Rolled is good but if your doing this job over a few months consider getting sheet with a protective coating so it doesnt turn orange with surface rust before the job is done. we have a few names for it like Zintec and Electrogalv. different retailers have different names but the coating is light grey in colour and can be welded through. dont get it confused with straight out Galvanised sheet.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 AM

The specification you are looking for is 1008 or 1018, the last two digits representing carbon percentage. Hot rolled, usually notated as A36, has a carbon content that is a tich higher, and its tolerances are much wider, Hot roll should never be a consideration.

There are further designations that folk will use, such as DQ or DDQ, draw quality or double draw quality, and in MY opinion, it is not wont the effort in locating unless your supplier happens to have it on hand. It is said to shape easier, and that may be true, but in MY experience, not enough so as to make a large difference.

So, Cold roll 1008 or 1018, DQ or DDQ is what you want to ask your supplier about.

Marty
Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Default 18ga. question

Thanks everyone, this helps me narrow down my search ,and Marty it was the DQ AND DDQ that was throwing me off as I've seen it mentioned before leading me to think I should ask someone before I purchase so thanks again