All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Exclamation Hello from Milwaukee (with lots of pictures!)

So here's my Introduction:

My name is Johnny Koller, I'm 24 years old and from just outside of Milwaukee Wisconsin. I've been into hot rods and custom cars since I was a little kid, and have been actively building them since I was 16 years old. I have a few cars: Model A coupe, Model A roadster, 1940 Mercury Convertible, etc...

Here's the deal with me and Metal shaping. Bodywork has always scared the living heck out of me. I learned how to build frames, suspension fabrication, wiring, motor design and assembly, etc.. but I was always terrified with anything relating to sheet metal work. At the same time, I always admired the builders who could create their vision of how a car could be restyled, and do so with a very high level of craftsmanship (metal shaping versus bondo/fiberglass work) About 5 months ago I decided to learn how to do some bodywork on my 1966 Chevy Van (shop parts hauler) and it gave me an even larger level of respect for those who can metal finish their work. Around the same time, late this past summer, I started monkeying around with a stump, and a baseball bat hammer, etc... just to see how the whole process worked. I've kind of just progressed from there.

Throughout all of this I've bought every book I could find relating to bodywork, sheet metal shop drafting, metalshaping, etc... and have just absorbed it like a sponge. Read a little bit, go to the shop and try it out, screw it up, figure out what I did that screwed it up, and fix it, or start over and try to not make the same mistake again.

I'm here to benefit from others knowledge, and hopefully if I've figured out any little tips or tricks along the way, pass them on to someone else. Here's some pictures of some of my projects.

My model A coupe

My first metal shaping project: stump, body hammers, bead roller and a hand shrinker

Shortly after I made that hubcap, I had a friend lose a front wheel on his 1955 buick, and it wrecked his fender pretty bad. He gave it to me and figured it would be a good one to practice on. I learned alot about sheet metal and how it reacts to hammering, shrinking, etc.. with this one. Before and "after" but still not finished.

After I got "mostly done" with that fender I realized two things... I absolutely love working with sheet metal and doing everything by hand is really hard on your body. I sold some extra hot rod parts laying around, and started keeping an eye out for a GOOD English wheel, planisher, etc... I found a really nice Ratco hammer and a floor model MetalAce wheel, and once word got out I had a wheel, a friend of a friend asked me if I could make some tanks for a 1928 Harley he was restoring. I told him I'd try my best... and it's been the biggest learning experience I've had thus far. I made a lot of pieces that I ended up throwing away, but here's what I came up with. I deemed it my "practice tank". Now I understand better how to split the tank into pieces, how to shape them, and how to get my seams as they should be, so I'm going to make the pair of them over again and try to make it perfect. I didn't completely finish what I started with, but you can see where I was headed. it's all 18ga cold rolled.

I also screwed around, just learning to use the wheel, and made a fender skirt for my '40 mercury.

A really wanted to try playing with copper, so I made this for my mom for Christmas, out of 16 gauge.

Here's a picture of my shop space. I just picked up a p9sl Pullmax from a fellow member of the board here, and I've been playing around with making dies, shrinking with it, etc... It's a really amazing machine. I have a p1 pullmax that I'm putting together right now as well.

Hopefully this isn't too long, but thats me and my interest in metal shaping in a (big) nutshell.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

WOW, two GREAT introductions in one day. Hopefully it's contagious.

Welcome to AllMetalShaping Johnny. You are definitely on your way. I don't think I'd have even tacked that 55 Buick fender.

Dan Pate is having a regional metalshapers gathering over in Dennison MN May 3-6. You should try and come over.

Steve Hamilton lives up in Fond du Lac.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Is that Bills old P9? If so it is nice to see it found a good home. Welcome aboard!

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Default nice!!!!

All I can is !!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Johnny

Steve Here I'm on the east side of Fond du Lac. Welcome to the site.

Looks like you have gotten past the fear of body work. Your metalshaping is coming along really well.

Steve
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnarial View Post
Is that Bills old P9? If so it is nice to see it found a good home. Welcome aboard!
that was my first guess also!

Hi, and welcome Johnny!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Yep he for the p9. Wishing you much luck. And like everyone whom bought a piece of my old shop. I hope you make a million dollars with it. Good luck to you John.

Bill h!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Welcome to the site Johnny
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Johnny, welcome and thanks for the great introduction, one of the best. Looks like you already have a lot of skills, hope you will find tips and trick to help you improve you skills here. Thanks for joining us, hope to see more of your work.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Welcome!
Looks like you have found your "thing"
Hope to see more from you!
// Per

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden