All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Baileigh MH-19 - any good?

Bear with me whilst I get round to the purpose of my question as it needs a bit of background explanation.

Over the past two or three years I've steadily been collecting certain pieces of metal shaping machinery with a view to using them for various personal projects. The biggest issue is the lack of time due to my fabrication business growing and getting so much busier, also, I started up a second business a year ago to carry out CNC machining. As a result I have (had) a lot of space occupied by equipment I just don't get a chance to use. Although I've sold some of it recently I have held off selling every last piece as I live in hope that I will get to use it one day! If I do sell it all, would I ever get the chance to replace it at a later date or would it all have become too rare?

That's why I was thinking about the Baileigh machine as it can be used as a direct hit hammer, spring arm hammer or adapted to be used as an English wheel. Would it do all these tasks okay or is it just too much of a compromise?

I'm 51 now so it will be a few years before I can think about easing off and semi retiring but I don't want to look at a collection of unused machines for the next 10 years or so when I could sell them now and use the money now. If I still want to do all this in a few years time, surely buying a new, multi-purpose machine could be the way to go?

Thoughts and advice appreciated, as always.

I may not post details of projects I work on but some of what I've learnt on here has been invaluable with improving the quality of work my business produces, so thanks for that.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Get my book POWER HAMMERS to see the capabilities of the MH-19. After spending many months in various shops researching the book, I had a good chance to see Yoders, Pettingells, and others up close and personal. People who have legacy machines like Yoders and Pettingells are extremely loyal to them. However, the MH-19 is MUCH more shop friendly, easier and quicker to adjust, and also easier to control precisely. Those are very controversial statements, but I believe them to be true based on my observations. The MH-19 is one of several "new generation" of power hammers and is extremely well engineered and built. Although it can be reconfigured as an English wheel I do not endorse it for that role. As a power hammer and reciprocating machine (one pin conversion), it is outstanding.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks Bill, I'll see if I can get hold of a copy.

On a side note, 200 views and only one reply?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:50 PM

I was in Foyles bookshop in London a couple of weeks ago and it is sold there. I also saw it on sale at the NEC Classic Car Show, so you should have no problem getting it in the UK.

200 views and 1 reply... I found while researching the book that brand loyalty to the various makes of power hammers is almost like a religion. Even considering something other than Yoder, Pettingell, or Eckold is a type of apostasy for some shapers.

The new Baileigh and Stan Fulton machines are designed to fit in a normal sized room and not shake the building while they are working. Tool changes for both are very quick. Both machines are easily portable and don't require a crew of riggers to move. I believe Baileigh has a UK/Europe sales rep. too.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

If you are tight on space you might sell the large machines unless there is one that you particularly like. Use the money to buy the best small tools you can find. Hammers, dollys etc. This way you can keep your hand in the game without the large investment in space. Then, when you run across a deal on the Baileigh machine buy it.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:53 PM

is there a link to the stan fulton machine? I did a quick google search and nothing came up
Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
brand loyalty to the various makes of power hammers is almost like a religion.
Hence the shrine in front of my machines.

Not ever having used the Baleigh, but wary of machines to have claims of being able to do it all, that's exactly what I am. Wary. Not able to offer any comparison, only a opinion on the machines I have used, and in the end, you love most what you have.

If you like it, put a ring on it!

Marty
Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 PM

My advice - Don't sell.
Ive had the same dilemma as you many times, over the years.
Ive collected all I want now but if I had to start again, absolutely no chance.
The cost of the "old school" stuff has gone through the roof, making starting again with quality equipment virtually impossible.
And you try and find it when YOU want it.
Chinese is relatively cheap but is what it is, modern quality equipment is prohibitively expensive and will probably limit what you can afford to buy.
Certainly appraise what you want in the end, this forum pretty much gives you the basic equipment to start with.
In the UK, storage really is an issue.
If the gear is taking up earning space then that is another issue that only you can balance.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidpaint View Post
is there a link to the stan fulton machine? I did a quick google search and nothing came up

Cody,

The hammer Stan builds, which was designed by Loren Richards, can be found at: www.toolsforshaping.com
Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug 2016, Feb 2017, Sept 2018, Dec 2020, Aug 2022

Gareth - I bought a copy of Bill's book from EBay UK. It's an interesting, useful resource. Baileigh features quite heavily in the book, so you get a good insight into the machine's capabilities and just how many pro shapers favour them.

Having watched pretty much every MH-19 video on YouTube (literally 100's) I'm lusting after one, too! It really looks the business.

The legacy machines look fantastic, but I can't help think that they have been superceeded these days, by a much more user friendly platform (MH-19).
However, I have no experience with any of the true power hammers as I have a Pullmax - which is a different kettle of fish altogether

Matt