All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Beware of Eckold 653C that was on Ebay UK

One of the site members sent me an email regarding a link to an Ebay listing for an Eckold 653C, as they knew I was looking for one http://www.ebay.com/itm/300706163203...84.m1423.l2649

Through email and phone I contacted the Seller, Mark. He informed me that he was selling it for his brother, Andy, who needs an operation. Assured me repeatedly that it and the tooling were in top shape.

We discussed our mutual concern about being scammed. He had already been approached by scammers, and I had a negative experience in the past. Therefore we worked out the terms of the sale:

- I would hit the Buy it Now button, committing to buy the machine,
- Within 2 days, he'd have the machine hooked up to electricity and send me a video of it running, and going through the speeds, as well as more and better pictures of the tooling,
- Within a week, I'd have a truck there to retrieve the machine, the driver would verify everything, call me, and I'd pay prior to it being loaded through Paypal with Ebay Buyer Protection.

So, within hours of hitting the Buy it Now, I get a series of emails, with Mark telling me that Ebay and his family demanded immediate payment, or he would sell it elsewhere. That I hadn't bought it, because I hadn't paid. He was removing all the safeguards that were put in place and changing the terms of the deal.

What do I believe truly happened? Multiple other people were contacting him telling him that they'd pay more, so he wanted out of the deal with me. Further, when he did get the machine hooked up a week later, and send me a video of it running in one speed, he tells me there are electrical problems. First says that it's just a loose wire in the foot pedal, and the problem is intermittent. Then there is issues with the control buttons in the head. Keeps saying they are minor problems, but also states that he's spent 600GBP ($1000) on electricians and had to get an electrial diagram....

And the tooling, it's well worn and all needs rebuilding. Some has rust pits that could end up marking the metal. Some has been welded on. And the list of what he has keeps changing. Come to find out, he's been selling off a piece here and there that was to go with the machine per the Ebay ad.

He wants 10,500GBP for the machine and tooling he has left now. Keeps emailing me about how great a deal it is, how there are other machines for sale for more money (overpriced and having not sold in an extended time), etc. That when he called Eckold UK they told him this and that.

I put together some new safeguards and offered to send him the 6000GBP ($10,000), all he needed to do was invoice me through Ebay. He wants more, wants to go around Ebay, and has never said anything about selling off tooling.

Mark is an artist and knows nothing about metal shaping or the machine. The family gave him the assignment to sell it quick to get money for the operation for Andy. He found out he might have under priced it, got in trouble with the family, and backed out of the contract. You may see the machine again on Ebay UK in the future, but I'm done with it.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.

Last edited by Overkill; 05-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Sorry to hear it didn't work out John. At least you're not out any money and what goes around comes around so hopefully the guy will get his in the end.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 AM

Hi John, what is it with these folk? Im sorry to hear yhat you were messed around again, but one conclation, you still have your cash.. If I can help ypu out on the future dont hesitate to get in touch..
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Thanks Ian

I see that the Jesse James Eckold KF460 scam is still floating around if you do a search for it.

This latest one isn't necessarily a scam, just someone who didn't do what he said he would do more than anything. Of course, the fact that he's selling off tooling that was supposed to go with the machine.... well, I'll let someone else put a name to that.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

John,
If you look at the guy's feedback you'll find that he's only done some minor purchases to actually achieve any kind of a feedback rating. This is usually a sign of a scammer.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Feedback

Yes, and most of the feedback was small purchases he made, not sales. This is what started my concern and why the safeguards were built in. However, in this case, I don't think he was a scammer, just didn't honor the deal he made because family was in his ear to sell it to the other buyers for more.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:33 AM

Looks like this old scam is back on eBay uk - item number 252345840938. Seller won't reply to request to view as I'm just up the road from Wigan where it supposed to be although he gives a personal address in Inverness (400 miles away!) and the Telephone number is for a bouncy castle hire firm. This machine was Originally genuinely for sale four years ago on you tube and is on the same pallet as then ! Pics obviously just lifted - scammers are more stupid than they think we are.

"I have not Failed - I've just found 10,000 ways that have not worked" - Thomas Edison
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM

Scammers! there the arsehole of the earth. Even Companys are doing it now, Well my Mobile Phone Co anyway,(Live-Connect) the bastards have sold my Number to all sorts of advertising and donation charities.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Looks like another one now..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1721583862...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
if it was a real one and in the states I would buy it!