All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Well Crap....the buckless approach to car building has bitten me once again.

Last time I posted I had finished the headlight on the right fender.

However, once I got the other side roughed out it was apparent that the right light was angled in...that is, the face of the opening was not square to the centerline of the chassis. sigh.......

So out with the saw and fix that...then I get to start on the left headlight.

Got the shaping pretty well done...was working on one of the bottom flairs and Carolyn came in and asked me something. A few minutes later I went back to the car and couldn't find the part I'd been shaping. I looked for half an hour. Guess where it was?

Name:  a-008s.jpg
Views: 3135
Size:  42.9 KB
DUH:dunc e: Trust me getting old is a bitch.

Oh well back to work. Some time later I'm have the car on the lift up pretty high so I could weld up under the light then I noticed something....

On the inside where the headlight flair blends into the fender, the angle is different. Here is the right side looking from the front backward. The center of the car is to the right.
Name:  a-010s.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  24.6 KB
And here is the left. It looks like they are COMPLETELY different but that is because the camera was not in the same place on both shots. What you need to look at is the very bottom of the "V". Notice how steep and deep the right is and how much more rounded the left is. The center of the car is to the left.
Name:  a-011s.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  24.0 KB

Here are the same two views but from the top looking forward. Right side center of the car to the left

Name:  a-013s.jpg
Views: 3019
Size:  46.8 KB
Right side center of the car to the right.
Name:  a-014s.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  44.5 KB

^%$**)_&^#!@%^

Yeah, I know...nobody can see both sides at once. But I can't let it go so I'll be cutting the seam out on the right side and making the V flatter. Oh well....it's only work.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 PM

I feel your pain Karry- The price of perfection.... Look great as it sits too. How many people you think would ever see it? Except those who do that kind of work.....none
Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I got the new 'trough' made and welding in with no much trouble but dang I think these little parts are the hardest ones to make.

Name:  b-001s.jpg
Views: 3148
Size:  44.7 KB

This one was a bear!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
I got the new 'trough' made and welding in with no much trouble but dang I think these little parts are the hardest ones to make.

Attachment 7515

This one was a bear!
+1 on that!!! Those little fill-in pieces are a bitch.

MGB roadster widened 11.5", Corvette C-4 suspension, 535 hp supercharged LT1 V8, T-56 6 speed.
Pictures here: It goes to Part 6 now
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Some progress at last.

It's hard to have a home life and build a car at the same time....

Got all the shaped panels welded in on the headlight pods, pulled them off, and proceeded to file all my crappy welds down. I think I used every different vixen file I owned to get into all these weird areas.

Name:  c-001s.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  79.6 KB

This is the worms eye view looking up at the bottom of the headlight pod.

Name:  c-002s.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  55.3 KB

Still a bit more work to do on this fender but it's getting close. Some of the file work is better done on the car where it will be more stable.

I've also welded up all the screw holes in the nose. It's ready for final mounting and fitting to the hood.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2010

woo hoo! glad to see that you getting something done on the car..
Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Administrator

I've been working on the car quite a bit but it's a slow stage. I've finished both the fenders except for some final bumping and have fitted them to the nose and the car. Now I'm fitting the hood to the fenders. Nasty work because I need to stretch the flange by hand since it won't go in any of the machines. They need a bit more arch.

I also wanted to stiffen the front and back of each hood half to ensure it would match the curve of the nose.

I shrunk a piece of 1x1/2" aluminum angle until it was a perfect match for the nose and then clamped it to the front of the hood and welded them together.

Name:  a-001s.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  a-002s.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  45.4 KB

A little filing with vixen files and it came out great.

Name:  a-003s.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  a-004s.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  38.5 KB

One down, 3 more to go.

I've decided to forget about my hidden cowl access below the hood. Way too complicated. I'll just plan on making access through the dash to check the brake booster.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 AM

a beautiful work.
Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

A question on trim, how to make it, where to buy it, alternatives, ect.

What I want to do is shown in these photos by the blue lines:

Name:  c-001s.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  c-002s.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  48.9 KB

The fenders will be bolted to the nose and other structure and what I want to do is cover the fender/nose seam and the fasteners. I may use the cinch studs I used on the A and B pillar portions of the fenders. Alternatively, if I could find a trim that I could put fasteners into, I could use the trim to fasten the fender to the nose/structure. So far, I haven't found anything that would work.

Here is a bad sketch of how the trim might work. Using threaded clinch studs in the fender to go through holes in the nose and other structure and tighten nuts from the back side. The trim (1/2 oval 1" wide) would be glued over the seam and heads of the studs and then painted. I'm looking at aluminum and painting it to contrast with the pale yellow paint on the car.

On the hood, the trim will be affixed to the hood and overlap the fender, covering the seam but not touching the paint on the fender. Again, panel adhesive seems like the best bet at this point but I'm open to options.

Name:  drawing2.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  16.3 KB

The trim along the hood is straight and I'm thinking I'll continue it straight to the door and taper it down to nothing about a foot into the door. The trim on the nose is a fairly complex line that curves in all directions.

I'd love to have chrome trim but realistically that will have to wait for phase II because I just don't want to spend that much on the brass and having it chromed. Aluminum can be polished and, in fact, chromed also.

The shape in the nose piece seems to take a standard C shaped hollow stainless molding out of the picture. I don't think I could get it to curve right as tight as those curves are.

There is a company out in Ca called Restoration Stuff

http://http://www.restorationstuff.com.

You can download their catalog and on page 30 & 31 of their catalog, they offer have oval aluminum (and brass) in lengths as well as a T extrusion that would be ideal for the hood. Bunch of other neat stuff as well.

This is the sort of thing I had given ZERO consideration to when I was deciding to build the car and I've already spent considerable time researching and investigating options. Yet something else I didn't plan for.

I'm open to suggestions and alternatives and would love for some of you guys who have perhaps done some work on scratch built cars to offer your insights.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Hi Kerry,

in my opinion the trim that goes down will distroy your design the flow is not right..i hope i am wrong but that's how i see it...

The Royale Sabre i built a couple of years ago had trim that was made out of solid brass with a T groove in it to get bolds in with a square head to mount them to the body....

The grill inlay was kinda set back a little...

If you google Royale Sabre and push the picture button you will see what i mean.

Ben