All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 PM

Default Embossing question

Hello, I am going to build some "art" for my garage walls. I am going to try my hand at embossing so the lettering is raised higher than the surrounding areas. I plan on using an e wheel with a rubber upper, I think i will use 19 ga DQ,

My question is how thick of material should i use for the letters? What is the max i can expect to raise 19 gauge? I would like to get 3/16 inch raise on the letters. Will likely use mdf material as I can cut with a jig or scrollsaw (which I have). If it would be better to use steel, I would need to have it cut on a cnc plasma. (i dont have). Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 prog View Post
Hello, I am going to build some "art" for my garage walls. I am going to try my hand at embossing so the lettering is raised higher than the surrounding areas. I plan on using an e wheel with a rubber upper, I think i will use 19 ga DQ,

My question is how thick of material should i use for the letters? What is the max i can expect to raise 19 gauge? I would like to get 3/16 inch raise on the letters. Will likely use mdf material as I can cut with a jig or scrollsaw (which I have). If it would be better to use steel, I would need to have it cut on a cnc plasma. (i dont have). Thanks for your help in advance.

Shawn
I usually use 1.6 ally under the panel that I am making, I get the letters or word laser cut, the thicker words the higher the raise. With the wheel takes quite a bit of time but if you have a Pulmax and make a proper hammer and base for it, it's a lot quicker (Note ...the head of the hammer works better if it's made out of nylon
Peter
PS I have embossed quite a few tail gates skins or skirts and others panel with the words FORD or CHEV or NISSAN and the odd flames

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Shawn, try to go the way Peter described, the mdf board cutted to be the male part ( in this case) will not give you crispy lines/ edges, it kind of collaps and not hold up for this thickness of steel.

Sometimes I make a combo of mdf and alu, the mdf for the raise hight and a alu to make it hold up in edges.

Take a look at my mdf patterns next time you go to Dan, its not for lettering but you will get a idea of how it can be done.

Remember to show us your art later!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Shawn for wall art try some lighter material. Find some 22 ga galvanized steel. I used the method Per is takling about on these panels.
The boards are what Per is talking about. The metal gets sandwiched between them. You have a top board that guides the tool. The other is under the panel. I used .063 aluminum for these. The wood and aluminum was all scraps I had laying around.
Then I used doming dies and the wheel to put some shape into them.
I don't see why a air chisel wouldn't work instead of a Pullmax. It would be a little more chalenging.

Sounds like a fun project for the spring Meet at Dan's!!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 PM

Default thanks guys

Jeff and Per, Thanks for the help. Jeff do you cut the upper guide and the lower cutout the same size? I may try to use an air chisel as you suggest. Could I use a cut off chisel bit with the corners rounded off? Would plywood hold the edge better than MDF? I will need to buy materials for this, sorry for so many questions. Would like to have a hammerform and embossing part done for Dans. Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

front and back are both the same cut out. you need a third panel on the backside to act as a stop. I pick up pieces of scrap wood cheap at the habitat store. plywood doesn't work the best because it's hard to make a nice edge when you cut it. the bit I use is a teardrop shape. it works nice because you can work the tip into corners.