All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Repairing a quarter panel

This is my first thread on here,and hopefully someone gets something from it like I've been getting from all the other great post's on this site. The skill of some of the guys that fabricate panels blows my mind ! I haven't seen to many repairs on here so I thought I'd share one that I did. Not really sure if it even belongs on this site,seeing as it's a pretty typical body shop repair on a crappy old Nissan,but if it was a classic car the repair process would still be the same.

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

The car was set up on an Autorobot frame machine that attaches to the pinch weld's on the sill/rocker panels. You don't need this equipment to carry out these repairs,you can use portapower rams and push from inside,or hook up to something solid,like a tree,and use a winch etc etc.

The damage was then pulled out using a hydraulic ram/arm to restore the correct length to the panels and remove the creases.The panels are always pulled before you cut anything off so that all the creases and stress points are relieved and will not have to be dressed out later to make things fit.You can see in one picture where the rear panel is ripping away from the floor, I usually stop pulling at this point so the panels that are being repaired aren't damaged further.

If you are replacing the panel's you can make holes to attach bolts and pull plates or further damage the panel to get the best pull,but if you are repairing the panels care must be taken not to make more work for yourself down the track. Sometimes easier said than done!

Gaps to all corresponding panels and tail lamp fitment are checked during the repair.

Without restoring the correct length to the panels ,repairing the dents to a metal finish is virtually impossible. It is possible to get it close and use filler to cover the dents,but it is usually quicker and easier to metal finish if you can. I use a flipper/slapper/hammers and dollies to dress the dents out while there is tension on the pull,then file the metal to pick up any highs/lows and dress them out.

Hopefully this has shed some light on repairs. The main point I'm trying to get across is that all the pressure from the damage must be removed before you can start fixing the dents and creases.There is some good books on this, and they do a much better job of explaining the process than I can,Bob Sargent's Key to metal bumping is a good one.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Nice job Ben ..... Sometime I like to do some smash repairs, just for a change
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Yeah I quite enjoy the repairs,it's just the insurance company's that make it unberable at times.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM

good post.
Maybee a new thread for smash work? It would be great to see some big hits on here. Id like to take more photos of some bigger jobs but my boss is always on my case..

I like paint stripping the entire panel of repair that way there is no excess primer and paint so as its closer to original and which doesnt take to long..

Robbie