All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do I remove a sharp wrinkle (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=21573)

tensecterror 03-20-2023 10:12 AM

How do I remove a sharp wrinkle

I have 1939 Willys coupe and the car was on its roof at one time. Former owner pushed out the roof to close to shape.

But now has very sharp wrinkles and creases on the roof. Most spots I can not get at the back very easy. I assume use a long spoon on the back on these?

Thanks,

MP&C 03-20-2023 01:25 PM

Trevor, got any pictures of the carnage? We can give much better advice that way..

tensecterror 03-20-2023 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some pictures. Think I figured it out.
I measured the good side and made a contour template, looks like I really have to shrink it and the wrinkles should shrink away.

Attachment 65648

Attachment 65649

Attachment 65650

Jaroslav 03-21-2023 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is really terrible. But I've seen it several times. Once it was under a layer of 4 cm of putty, that's almost 2 inches. They used a pneumatic hammer to remove it.
Probably use heat and carefully repair and add sealant. Unless you want to make it again. It will be a 2 person job.:confused:
Maybe use a C hammer in the frame.
Attachment 65651

tensecterror 03-21-2023 02:25 PM

That is a nice tool! I will heat and shrink, its really needs a lot of it.

These coupes are so rare I what to keep it original. Think there are only a dozen in the world in this shape.

blue62 03-21-2023 02:51 PM

I doubt very much that you can shrink the wrinkles away.
You will have to bring the metal up to your contour gauge. Opening and smoothing the wrinkles as you bring the metal up and then shrink the excess stretched metal back.
If you start shrinking the metal while it is in that condition your going to have a worse mess.

Jaroslav 03-22-2023 05:00 AM

You probably have nothing left but to cut it, flatten it and weld it again. My colleague would handle it that way - he likes to weld...
Do you know who made it? This looks like modern work, not historical. Some people simply never grow fingers... Only the foundation of the previous species remains.
If you did that, I'm sorry, but do it better next time.:):lol:
We're all learning and that's what we're here for. Then show the result.

Chris_Hamilton 03-23-2023 12:36 AM

Like David (Blue62) said, shrinking is not the solution. You aren't going to achieve anything just shrinking it. You need to hammer and dolly it out, as you do you may need to spot shrink in places to bring down highs, but heat and shrinking alone won't solve anything. Only make it worse. The majority of the metal in the affected area is displaced not stretched. You need to move the displaced metal back. (hammer and dolly) Shrinking is only used when you have too much metal in a spot (stretched). Oversimplification but I hope you get the point we are making.

Gojeep 03-23-2023 04:38 AM

Agree with others that it needs careful hammer and dolly work. Move around a lot to bring it all smooth slowly together, rather than just one spot at a time.

blue62 03-23-2023 07:46 AM

I would also suggest that you do as much "Hammer off dolly" work as possible.
You want to move the metal to where it needs to be.
"Hammer on dolly" will move the metal but also stretch it.
A good flipper or slapper would be handy to move the metal and smooth it at the same time. That would help to minimize stretching.