All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Carl from Arizona (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=21545)

Lemoncuda 02-26-2023 02:20 AM

Carl from Arizona

Hello metal shapers this is Carl from Arizona. I've been into doing car restorations as my hobby up till recently when my wife decided she wanted a 60s Chevy Truck. Well, we ended up doing a lot of fabrication by way of adding lots of components that are more modern and that included the sheet metal.

But what I really want to do is to build her a 1930s French Speedster, like a Talbot Lago 150 SS with the enclosed pontoon fenders. Shes French and so I think it makes sense except I've never made full body panels and am set on learning. I'm disabled after a severe accident so I will have to rely on machines instead of fabbing with a hammer and bag. So in that spirit we are building an English Wheel and also a power hammer. I have a lot to learn and look forward to reading about your projects.

Thanks, Carl

heinke 02-26-2023 10:44 AM

Welcome Carl!!

Where about in AZ are you located? I'm in Prescott and have built an English wheel and power hammer in the past. If it would help you to see them, you're welcome to.

ArtAZ 02-28-2023 07:42 PM

I agree. Where in Arizona are you? I'm in Mesa.

Art

Lemoncuda 03-02-2023 02:02 AM

Carl in Arizona

Art and Heinke, I'm in Rio Rico, a small town near Tubac, AZ, south of Tucson. I'd love to see your English Wheel and Power Hammer. I bought a kit to build the power hammer so the design is locked in for the most part. It is by a company called Sosa Metalworks and is fairly inexpensive. As for the English Wheel, I have the lower anvils with an adjustable lower cradle. The anvils are 3 inch, so I need a big upper wheel. Sadly, I have also bought a massive lower adjuster before I really knew all the options. If I could go back, I'd of bought the kit by Hoosiers, but thats ok.

At the moment I have to rely on my wife to drive beyond 10 or 15 minutes, so I dont get out too far., but we are planning a trip to Utah in May, so we will be passing by.

Thank you, Carl

Jaroslav 03-02-2023 03:07 PM

Hi Carl, you are in a good place to share experiences.
Check out some of my threads. I am sending a link to cheap and quality EW. I spin in them with everything that spins, preferably weights from the gym...
https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17702

I am also sending the front mask you asked about.
https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19483

Good luck with your recovery.

Lemoncuda 03-03-2023 02:32 AM

Carl from Arizona

1 Attachment(s)
Jaroslav, thank you so much for your message and the links. I love your use of weights and bearings as e wheels. I had actually thought of a big weight for the upper wheel but I have yet to buy a lathe. I should buy a lathe and build the my E wheel, power hammer and bead roller instead of buying them premade.

I absolutely love the grill you made! It looks incredible and its because of the hard work you put into it. Round rod or flat stock would have made it very heavy and would not have had the same look you gave it. I enjoy the process that you underwent to make each part and then, just as interesting, was the hardware you made to put it all together.

I also love the headlight surrounds you made for the same car. Is the metal chrome plated or buffed aluminium? The headlights remind me of the Delahaye 165 or even the Delahaye 175 by Saoutichik. But what Make, model and year is this car? It is magnificant!

I'd love to build my version of the Delahaye 175 but first, I am going to build my version of the Talbot Lago 150 SS, I can hardly think of anything else!

Take care,
Carl

Attachment 65569

Jaroslav 03-03-2023 03:38 AM

Thank you Carl.
The EW from the sawmill is because there is no history of these machines in my country and the economics of buying a similar original machine or a new one is disadvantageous. I took the idea from Cass Nawrocki, who had solved a similar problem in the past. The saw enables great variability of use. I have not published all the variants of use. This is about 10%.
Rubber and polyurethane wheels complement the efficiency of use.
A very strong frame is important for EW. Flexibility is not a good trait.
I have a very high quality and expensive bead roller. We electronically set the speed from 0 - 85 rpm. While maintaining strength.

The mask and frames are made of 1mm stainless steel. You have to negotiate with such material first... That car is an Aero 50 - an aircraft factory that also produced cars before human political stupidity stopped it. But stupidity is always one step ahead. So no surprise.

There are threads on that site with a lot of knowledge. The car in your picture is beautiful, I've always wanted to make a body like that.

Good luck

Jaroslav