View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Thanks guys! I quickly figured out I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but oh man, it's sooooo much fun!!!

But seriously, I figured I'd start with the front end and am sort of happy with it, but mainly, excited to actually see metal being formed finally. I think as described somewhere on here, most of what I did today was fabrication instead of forming so I need to hone my skills.

My planishing hammer showed to today too so I was able to mess around with that. Most of the told I have purchased are from Eastwood or Northern Tool, and yes, I know they're not the best but being an amateur on this, I wanted to see how I like this and when I get competent in forming, I'll sell the cutest stuff and get better. But for now, I'm pretty happy with what I have although not happy with my work.

Yes, describe that exercise for me! I need it!! I definitely will be taking a class/training in January. December will be a practice month so I'll have plenty of questions for the teacher for sure.

Pics tomorrow with more progress.

Shape in Shape out=

Shape In....

Cut a piece of material 12 to 14 inches square.
When I do it I use a 14 square piece it is a little easier to work with.
Once you have your square material mark a 1 inch border on all four sides with a felt tip pen.
Now on the E-wheel start on one side staying inside your boarder make your passes close together from one side to the other.
Now turn the panel 90 degrees and do the same thing. make sure you stay inside the boarder.
Keep doing this until your panel begins to raise.
You have to hold the panel level and make very even close passes.
Check it often by setting it on a flat surface it will get to a point that just the four corner touch as it raises up.

Your goal is to raise an equal crown in both directions no twist no lines very smooth and a nice finish when held up to the light.

Shape out....
By having that 1 inch boarder that you did not wheel that boarder acts as a frame. By wheeling inside the boarder you created more surface area inside that boarder so the panel crowns up.
To let the shape out wheel the edges all around until they are wavy.
Then start at the middle and pull up lightly on the panel and pull the panel out toward you at the same time. this will drag shape out to the edge. Turn the panel 90 degrees and do it again. keep doing that.

When the edges get tight. wheel them again until they are wavy. Then drag more shape out.
The goal of shape out is to make the panel perfectly flat again.

Putting shape into a panel "correctly" and being able to let shape out when you over develop a panel are very very important principles.